Baby The Official Baby/Fetus/BirthCanal Thread

other than obvious basics, what are things that, when you were a new parent, you either grossly overestimated the need for, or ended up saving your ass that you'd have never guessed you'd need?

Feeding:

Depending how your boobs work, hopefully ya dont need bottles at all. But if you do, dont buy a bunch of em until you figure out which nipple your kid likes. Dr Brown's worked for us with both kids, but its by no means universal. If you do need bottles, get at least 8

Boobs dont work:

Find a formula that works, its different for every kid. Formula will rape your wallet forever, so play all the games with coupons and credits, and sales. If you have to go this route, let us know and peanut will walk you through the similac formula tricks for pricing.

Diapers:

Dont bother with the small sizes in bulk, kid is gonna change sized so quick in the first six months size nb,1,2 will phase out quick. Buy as needed.

Cloth diapers are good once the kid hits 6-8 months and you're only changing 3-4 a day. The washing isnt a big deal and they dont leak. Koala Mama ones from amazon are good (and cheap, dont fall for the 20 dollar a piece bum genius ones).

Clothes:

Lotsa fleece onsies with feet. The awesomest ones unzip from the bottom so you can pull the kids legs out to change a diaper without taking the whole thing off in this cold ass weather. Watch for sales. 3-5 bucks a piece is a good price.

The sleep sacks flop mentioned are good. Depends on the kid though.

Sleeping:

Pack-n-play: get one. You'll want two options for the kid to sleep, one in his/her nursery, and the other someplace closer like the living or dining room.

Rock-n-play: Godsend if the kid has reflux. Despite the safety warnings, it was the only way our first kiddo slept for the first 6 months. Always strap em into it though.

White noise: use an old phone or tablet or something, and set up a white noise app when the kiddo is sleeping. It allows you all a ton more flexibility and sleep when the kid doesnt wake up every time you open and shut a door, or roll over, or have a conversation louder than a whisper.

we like these two:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siblify.holo_clock
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmsoft.whitenoise.baby

The first can carry all the way up to to 4 or 5 years old, helps with sleep training, etc. Has a nice loud white noise sound.

Eating:

bibs. All the bibs. Oversized bibs. Like 30 of em.

there is so much more, but thats my initial brain dump.

If you were close by, we have so much stuff you could just have.

I'm anti diaper-genie. BIGLY

It holds like 40 dirty diapers. DO THE MATHS. HOW MANY DAYS OF SHIT ARE YOU GONNA STORE IN THERE??? Ours would start to smell before it was full. I tossed it within 6 weeks & she agreed it was a good move. You'll use ziplock bags everywhere else when you're out with the kid. Use them at home too.

Toss them in your regular garbage that you take out each night. You don't need to store poop.

Also, when it comes to bottles, if you're doing any formula, store the right amount of formula you'll need right in the bottle, dry, and bring bottled water. Make it as you need it.

our diaper genie keeps the smell locked away, i know there were a couple of models that didnt. We did the trash can empty every day thing... it did not work. House smelled like poop even when you emptied frequently.

Nowadays it is the test shows XY, it is a boy

Baby shoes are just to keep the feet warm, they will kick them off. Lots of onsiess and socks. Cloth diapers for spit ups, I of course used cloth for their bottoms because I am a psycho. Baby wipes clean everything. A cute diaper bag is essential. A little food grinder to make baby food. If you plan to breastfeed, rolling up a washcloth or small towel and putting under the breast makes it easier for baby. Also learn to nurse side lying position.

The nurses will love you since the sex of the baby is unknown. 😁

oh, wipes. The target ones are good and tough. Worst thing is when you get a flimsy wipe that you tear throiugh like oneply.

https://www.target.com/p/baby-wipes...O-FjM4guTL3NcBcHeD4aAjNyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

How they pull outta the container is important too, Nothing more frustrating that pinning a kid down with one hand, dodging poop, and trying to pull a single wipe..... and they all chain together and you pull thirty out, which then the kid prompty grabs and wipes poop on.

You need em to cleanly pull once at a time or you will throw them across the room.

our diaper genie keeps the smell locked away, i know there were a couple of models that didnt. We did the trash can empty every day thing... it did not work. House smelled like poop even when you emptied frequently.
Life hack: no window screen in the nursery, with the garbage can outside.

My ovaries are older than JCCs 3 chins
Like the last two pickled eggs floating in the jar at the bar. They are a bit beat up because everyone who’s put their hand in the jar has bumped against them. Yeah they smell real bad and are a bit misshaped. But they deserve to be treated the same as the perfect ones that were pulled the jar was opened.

oh, wipes. The target ones are good and tough. Worst thing is when you get a flimsy wipe that you tear throiugh like oneply.

https://www.target.com/p/baby-wipes-refill-pack-unscented-800ct-up-up-153/-/A-14893053?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Baby_Top+Performers&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9007725&ds_rl=1242884&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1sriBRD-ARIsABYdwwEA0MqdQcWR0k8A5AKJ07V6QUe2XAt9X8giO-FjM4guTL3NcBcHeD4aAjNyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

How they pull outta the container is important too, Nothing more frustrating that pinning a kid down with one hand, dodging poop, and trying to pull a single wipe..... and they all chain together and you pull thirty out, which then the kid prompty grabs and wipes poop on.

You need em to cleanly pull once at a time or you will throw them across the room.
Yeah and get ones with some sort of snap lid and not the sticker to re-seal them. We use the Seventh Generation ones and like them.