Baby The Official Baby/Fetus/BirthCanal Thread

I used local kid thrift stores more than anything. We have one in Albuquerque called "Other Mothers", stacked bottom to top with used clothes, strollers, pack and plays, furniture, errything (except car seats, apparently those have an expiration date on 'em and aren't allowed to be sold second hand).

Find one.

Also put the word out aggressively in all the breeding circuits that you are about to be a breeder and you're going to have a little clone lying around. Free clothes are the greatest thing that you can ever have. I've been taking my sister's hand offs because both of her kids are older for years. Up to a certain age kids don't care what they wear and free rules the universe LOL

other than obvious basics, what are things that, when you were a new parent, you either grossly overestimated the need for, or ended up saving your ass that you'd have never guessed you'd need?
Get some SleepSacks. They are made by Halo. They are a huge must and time saver. And early on a baby bouncer is huge. All of mine spent their first few weeks sleeping in those until we moved them to a crib. Also don’t worry about a lot of the crap like the bedding etc. since baby’s don’t use blankets and you can’t use the edging and all the other crap it’s a waste to get.

Even a kid barfing in your open mouth (and it will happen to you) sucks less than paying $60 for 3 pairs of new pants to go on a kid that's going to outgrow them in 3 months.
Yep. When they're tiny, the tiny ghost costume outfit that zippers shut at the bottom is fine for every occasion.

& excellent call on thrift stores.

"IT HAS A PENIS, ITS A BOY."

How old fashioned of me.
Nowadays it is the test shows XY, it is a boy
other than obvious basics, what are things that, when you were a new parent, you either grossly overestimated the need for, or ended up saving your ass that you'd have never guessed you'd need?
Baby shoes are just to keep the feet warm, they will kick them off. Lots of onsiess and socks. Cloth diapers for spit ups, I of course used cloth for their bottoms because I am a psycho. Baby wipes clean everything. A cute diaper bag is essential. A little food grinder to make baby food. If you plan to breastfeed, rolling up a washcloth or small towel and putting under the breast makes it easier for baby. Also learn to nurse side lying position.

The nurses will love you since the sex of the baby is unknown. 😁

• Gravy
Reactions: august and Amstel
Also put the word out aggressively in all the breeding circuits that you are about to be a breeder and you're going to have a little clone lying around. Free clothes are the greatest thing that you can ever have. I've been taking my sister's hand offs because both of her kids are older for years. Up to a certain age kids don't care what they wear and free rules the universe LOL

Do these clothes actually fit you, Nukes?

I also don't like the diaper-genie. It's so wasteful.

In hindsight, I wish I had gone full-aggro-hippie and done cloth diapers, but those fucking disposables are so convenient.

I know the cloth diapers are good for polishing not sure about pooping. Seems like a laundry nightmare.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Also keep in mind once you lock into a diaper brand not all are the same. And what I mean if you say use Huggies Snugglers they can vary from where you buy them. When we’ve got them from Amazon and Costco they smell totally different and a low quality vs the exact same ones bought in a normal store. I read in a baby blog they do the same thing like for Outlet Malls. They are made specifically for the box stores and Amazon.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
^ true.

If you do go the disposable route, get good ones. I would never have known that cheap ones CAUSE diaper rash because they're simply not as absorbent until the daycare lady told us we wouldn't have to worry about it because we had decent diapers. You might think it's expensive, but you'd pay anything to stop a baby from crying in the middle of the night due to a soaked diaper, or diaper rash. Also, buy the ginormous box of them when you do.

• Gravy
The big decision maker on going cloth or normal diapers is how much do you plan on traveling with the baby. If you’re mainly going to be local then you can get away with it. If you’re like us and we’re traveling with the baby and visiting folks it wasn’t really an option.

• Gravy
Also keep in mind once you lock into a diaper brand not all are the same. And what I mean if you say use Huggies Snugglers they can vary from where you buy them. When we’ve got them from Amazon and Costco they smell totally different and a low quality vs the exact same ones bought in a normal store. I read in a baby blog they do the same thing like for Outlet Malls. They are made specifically for the box stores and Amazon.
Hmm I didnt know t
I had no trouble with the laundry part of it, but finding the right number to have in circulation at any given moment was difficult.
There were never enough of the right size it seemed.:iono: Be assured I have plenty of nice quality cloths around now 😁

• Gravy