the new hotness from Nokia...

CletusJones said:
This is pretty cool, I want one because I'm feeling particularly consumer-whoreish today. I've read on other sites that it's going to be about $350.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5991.html

nokia_770_internet_tablet_p00.jpg
Saw that a couple of weeks ago along with another airpanel appliance thingy that had a few more bells and whistles, but cost twice as much. While the gadgethead in me loves it and can think of some great specialized uses for it, I don't see average people seeing much of a use for it. The thing that makes me laugh is the VoIP function on that. Why? Bottom line : I want it but I don't know why anyone else would.

Here's a nifty one, PocketDish personal DVR : http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030044681/

Meh, my phone holds numbers, makes and recieves calls, and allows me to play chess against Kiwi when I'm bored in church. That's really all I need it for.

theacoustician said:
Saw that a couple of weeks ago along with another airpanel appliance thingy that had a few more bells and whistles, but cost twice as much. While the gadgethead in me loves it and can think of some great specialized uses for it, I don't see average people seeing much of a use for it. The thing that makes me laugh is the VoIP function on that. Why? Bottom line : I want it but I don't know why anyone else would.

Here's a nifty one, PocketDish personal DVR : http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030044681/
The "gadgethead" in me likes it too, it's a cool toy that I think everyone would be jealous of for about 5 minutes before calling me a geek and giving it back.

I'm not sold on VoIP yet. My best friend Rich (works in telecommunications) has seen it at a few shows and has talked to people who are on it and tells me that the current technology that's out isn't as good as everyone leads you to believe. I've got a few friends who have it at their homes, and although cool, it's just not as clear sounding as a regular phone or even cell phone. It's choppy and cuts out like you're in an area with no cell service.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yeah, I will need a Yagi antenna and an amplifier, probably will want a repeater too.

Though I'm thinking I may have to put up a 70' antenna to get internet, I might tack a cell repeater on there as well
you do have a landline out there, right? :thrawn:

theacoustician said:

try engaging your brain fewl

1. purchase VoIP capable mobile phone
2. add an unlimited data option to your service plan
3. steal underpants
4. route voip traffic over your now flat rate data connection, saving a heavy user a ton of money

CletusJones said:
The "gadgethead" in me likes it too, it's a cool toy that I think everyone would be jealous of for about 5 minutes before calling me a geek and giving it back.

I'm not sold on VoIP yet. My best friend Rich (works in telecommunications) has seen it at a few shows and has talked to people who are on it and tells me that the current technology that's out isn't as good as everyone leads you to believe. I've got a few friends who have it at their homes, and although cool, it's just not as clear sounding as a regular phone or even cell phone. It's choppy and cuts out like you're in an area with no cell service.
my voip service sounds equal in quality to my regular phone line, due in part to the fact that i have portioned out max bandwidth allowance of 150kb to it. works perfectly, but then im very close to my exchange

CletusJones said:

the problem I have with it is if you lose your internet server, you lose your phone. you lose your power, you lose your phone.

SpangeMonkee said:
the problem I have with it is if you lose your internet server, you lose your phone. you lose your power, you lose your phone.
that's why you need a UPS, then power outages are a thing of the past. My UPS will support my gateway as well as my desktop for 5 hours. :)