Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Number one, doing a lot of the shit you mention is fun.

Number B: You seriously never change *anything* in your home, property, or car? If you do, then add it to your list above.
I change shit readily if it brings me some actual value in return. My eufy camera system is a worthy addition to my "jinglebells on the gate and a sam colt" system for example.

An add-on backup cam for the Buick is another.

Ripping apart and screwing around with a bunch of stuff on a car that already works better than they ever have however is not.

To @Jehannum 's credit, if doing all that stuff let's his old dad enjoy the gto for a few more years then I'm wrong and those are all valid improvements.

I'm not anti-mess with shit as a hole. There just needs to be a reason and my definition of reason, or at least good reason, might be different than someone else's that's all, and usually a little more practical.

I've spent the majority of my life operating machinery of all different types. I haven't found a case yet where working against it instead of with it results in a better result.

Finally located the source of an annoying noise in the Audi yesterday - had to re-torque the top nut on the passenger side front strut.

I put the right hand side in the air and stuck my hand in and jiggled things until I found something moving that shouldn't have been, which was the cup that's supposed to hold the bump stop at the top. Stuck the 8mm allen key in the head, and a 22mm crowfoot on my torque wrench, and found that it had about 1.5 turns before it was to proper spec.

Fuckin' dunno how it got loose, it's a nyloc nut.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Finally located the source of an annoying noise in the Audi yesterday - had to re-torque the top nut on the passenger side front strut.

I put the right hand side in the air and stuck my hand in and jiggled things until I found something moving that shouldn't have been, which was the cup that's supposed to hold the bump stop at the top. Stuck the 8mm allen key in the head, and a 22mm crowfoot on my torque wrench, and found that it had about 1.5 turns before it was to proper spec.

Fuckin' dunno how it got loose, it's a nyloc nut.
Noice. My Neon was so rattly all over when you got up to 75 it sounds like you were running a rock polishing machine.

I had one of those come loose on the old GTI - that car ate upper strut bearings and I took those things on and off a lot and probably fucked up tightening it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I had one of those come loose on the old GTI - that car ate upper strut bearings and I took those things on and off a lot and probably fucked up tightening it.
I have an aluminum hat with a spherical upper bearing, because mine's known for eating upper strut mounts too.

The Hummer EV weighs 9000lb and accelerates to 60mph in 3s. At what point do manufacturers become liable for putting that amount of energy in the hands of Average American Drivers, who aren't even competent enough to manage stopping at stop signs? Half-tons these days are already beyond the capabilities of many to drive safely.
Saw my first of these today, they tried to hit me. Shocking.

• Gravy
I've had to argue with two separate people (one of them twice but she's cute, so) that they should get their dogs off the road and away from my wheels so I can move. They're all "oh just go it's fine" and like I'm being kind here, sorry you hate your dogs. They must not know that the company doesn't pay out if the dog is hit on the road. Chihuahuas and a mini-pin so they could just scoop them up but they seem almost afraid of their own dog?

• Gravy
surprised i don't believe you GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: fly
2 dudes at work have imported rightside drive vehicles. Super cool.
One an actual hi-lux. The other a little Toyota sporty thing like a supra or MR2 or whatever the foreign version of that is.

Myself I'd take a U.S. Postal Service jeep.

2 dudes at work have imported rightside drive vehicles. Super cool.
One an actual hi-lux. The other a little Toyota sporty thing like a supra or MR2 or whatever the foreign version of that is.

Myself I'd take a U.S. Postal Service jeep.
The post office things are actually Chevy S-10s with a modified wheelbase.