Ontopic The new car-seching thread

It's too tall to be a wagon, plz stop it hurts me. It's a basketball shoe like almost every other new car.
Season 6 No GIF by Friends

Last edited:
I think I have a locked up torque converter in my old 2010 Dodge van. Can put it into Reverse or Neutral but as soon as I switch to Drive the engine stalls out. Ironically it's sitting in a convenience store parking lot like 2 mi from my house. Guess I'll hunt down a transmission shop on Monday to see if it is worth fixing (it has 206,600mi). Leaks oil on the ground for like 5 years, minor oil pan leak so I was told by my mechanic. I hope that wasn't transmission oil.

The fuck is with insurance. Every single different person you talk to has a different stance on what they will do. I dont WANT insurance but if I have to pay for it they could at least be consistent at the same agency.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Pulled the trigger on a Tremec TKX 5-speed for the GTO.

I get an overdrive so the car's finally decent on the freeway at 75, and pops gets a hydraulic clutch because his left leg isn't in optimal condition anymore.

Had an argument about the definition of "jig" via email, while asking for the jig with the dial indicator to record (and adjust, via offset dowel pins and shims) the offset of the bellhousing from concentric and parallel to the crankshaft, ultimately got the guy to understand what I wanted and then... he didn't put it in the box. F'n idiot. So, now I'm waiting on a mag stand for my dial indicator.

Tremecs use a tapered roller bearing for the input shaft, which permits less shaft movement in the radial, so it holds more power on a smaller shaft than the Muncie, but does not tolerate runout like the single row ball bearing in the Muncie, so I have to align the bellhousing to .005" or less.

Corolla lost another ignition coil yesterday mid-way home. Thankfully i was able to limp to an advance auto, and by this point know exactly what it is when it happens now.

I think ive swapped all 4 now, and possible one of them twice. Something is eating them far more rapidly than it should be.

Corolla lost another ignition coil yesterday mid-way home. Thankfully i was able to limp to an advance auto, and by this point know exactly what it is when it happens now.

I think ive swapped all 4 now, and possible one of them twice. Something is eating them far more rapidly than it should be.
coolant leak? That's what did my mercury in eventually. Swapped ignition coils half a dozen times.

Do your ignition coils go deep inside the valve cover?

If so, you might be leaking oil into the plug wells, which can burn them out prematurely (or at least ground them out).

coolant leak? That's what did my mercury in eventually. Swapped ignition coils half a dozen times.
That was my first thought too, temps on the dashboard always seem fine though below the middle closer to cool. Coolant full

If so, you might be leaking oil into the plug wells, which can burn them out prematurely (or at least ground them out).
There is a very light residue on the coil boot. Not sure how bad it would have to be to encourage shorting, I suppose I should torque my spark plugs to spec, I generally just screw them in until they feel right

There is a very light residue on the coil boot. Not sure how bad it would have to be to encourage shorting, I suppose I should torque my spark plugs to spec, I generally just screw them in until they feel right
As long as your spark plugs aren't blowing out of their seats, torque value doesn't really matter.

I'd only be worried if there's actual standing oil in the wells. That indicates a leaking valve cover.

The corolla plug wells arent super deep. Im assuming he has the 1.8L might just be bad boots. The OEM ones are super tight but I've notied aftermarket stuff tends to be shit. I got some wildly out of spec stuff a couple months ago from rock auto.

As long as your spark plugs aren't blowing out of their seats, torque value doesn't really matter.

I'd only be worried if there's actual standing oil in the wells. That indicates a leaking valve cover.
nope, nothin like that, and i checked the blown coil when i got home, and its actually very clean, any residue there is isnt oily at all

• Gravy
The corolla plug wells arent super deep. Im assuming he has the 1.8L might just be bad boots. The OEM ones are super tight but I've notied aftermarket stuff tends to be shit. I got some wildly out of spec stuff a couple months ago from rock auto.
yeah, its the 1.8. Its generally an emergency, so i just get whatever is in stock, usually carquest, which i do expect to be crap. I should actually be pre-emptive and get a set of 4 denso OEMs and just keep them in the car.

• Gravy
My old Fit needed the head removed and helicoiled after it shot a plug.

So yeah, make sure your plugs are tight.

yeah, its the 1.8. Its generally an emergency, so i just get whatever is in stock, usually carquest, which i do expect to be crap. I should actually be pre-emptive and get a set of 4 denso OEMs and just keep them in the car.
Yes, get the Denso ones, and make sure they're genuine. I had a set of counterfeit Denso VW coils for my 300ZX, and they went tits up in a month.

Hey @Mr. Argumentor did you find any decent foundries to do custom casts? Or would you be willing to do some for me? I have a machine shop locally to do the rest of the work, but I'm trying to decide how custom I want to go on converting the L28 to EFI, and I'm thinking of doing MPFI with ITBs on throttle bodies off of an RB26 (which has 6 individual throttlebodies behind a common plenum), bolted up to the DCOE intake manifold.