Ontopic The new car-seching thread

I'm getting some parts cut out via SendCutSend, designing built-in tabs for them so I don't have to jig them and I can just clamp them together.
Anyone do that before? Right now I've got everything pretty tight and I need to open the tolerances but I don't know how much. Add 0.025" to each tolerance? More? Less? Ignore the tolerance and just take a file to it?
Kinda thinking I might make these to order

Kind of like how this guy did it
z6CFTt4.jpg

tiJyYBc.jpg

JPFLeYG.jpg

@gee @Mean Mr. Mustard @Jehannum
Ask that guy. Or see what sendcutsend specifies for tolerances.

When I'm making laser cut wood/acrylic stuff I just rely on the width of the cut itself to create the slop I need.

I'm getting some parts cut out via SendCutSend, designing built-in tabs for them so I don't have to jig them and I can just clamp them together.
Anyone do that before? Right now I've got everything pretty tight and I need to open the tolerances but I don't know how much. Add 0.025" to each tolerance? More? Less? Ignore the tolerance and just take a file to it?
Kinda thinking I might make these to order

Kind of like how this guy did it
z6CFTt4.jpg

tiJyYBc.jpg

JPFLeYG.jpg

@gee @Mean Mr. Mustard @Jehannum
your goal is just to have it hold together whilst you weld it?

i get that. But you might be domon'ing this where a couple of welding mag blocks would be way way easier.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
In the spirit of domon'ing it up, id go straight for no tolerance, and do the freezer/oven thing to get a nice CTE lock once stuff cooled.

Ask that guy. Or see what sendcutsend specifies for tolerances.

When I'm making laser cut wood/acrylic stuff I just rely on the width of the cut itself to create the slop I need.
That guy said he likes this guy's process, so, there we go

Also, this is why you 3D print shit first. Passenger is way off. Gonna need to do some good trimming.
giJL0xZ.jpg

QdDKP9H.jpg

Driver's side is better, but still hitting some random boss. Might've been an oil dispstick at one point in time?
4trjGLN.jpg

Saw this fuckin' immaculate 1st gen RX-7 on the road on Saturday, I think it was being driven by the original owner, too. Older lady, appreciated my thumbs up, but wasn't down for any tomfoolery.

messages_0 (5).jpeg

New throwout bearing in the Corolla is starting to shit the bed. She's starting to chirp again. The car chirped before when I got it, but then it turned into a howl when I'd put my foot on the clutch.

And it looks like it's caused by a bent input shaft on the transmission - I'm pretty sure the release fork isn't supposed to wobble when the car's sitting running in neutral. I figure it always did it, but after enough wobbling the bit of grease that goes on the input shaft, pivot ball for the release fork, etc... all fucks off out of there and it starts chirping again. Several other people on the internet have had the same issue.

Here's hoping the thing holds up until the new house/garage is built, then I'll see about putting a new transmission in it.

Maybe I'll go with a 5 speed E153 out of a V6 Camry/Solara. Except that won't bolt up to the stock 1ZZ-FE engine, so I might have to drop in a 2GR-FE out of a RAV4 instead. We'll see.

New throwout bearing in the Corolla is starting to shit the bed. She's starting to chirp again. The car chirped before when I got it, but then it turned into a howl when I'd put my foot on the clutch.

And it looks like it's caused by a bent input shaft on the transmission - I'm pretty sure the release fork isn't supposed to wobble when the car's sitting running in neutral. I figure it always did it, but after enough wobbling the bit of grease that goes on the input shaft, pivot ball for the release fork, etc... all fucks off out of there and it starts chirping again. Several other people on the internet have had the same issue.

Here's hoping the thing holds up until the new house/garage is built, then I'll see about putting a new transmission in it.

Maybe I'll go with a 5 speed E153 out of a V6 Camry/Solara. Except that won't bolt up to the stock 1ZZ-FE engine, so I might have to drop in a 2GR-FE out of a RAV4 instead. We'll see.
Will the bent input shaft wallow out the pilot bushing/bearing too?