Ontopic The new car-seching thread

It did, however, show why Tesla's wiring harnesses are so expensive. Running every electrical component back to the "SINGLEBOARDOMGSUPERIOR" computer takes a shitload of copper. Sane manufacturers jumped on the CANbus architecture a long time ago, so they only have enough wires to support the network transmission lines.
sounds like something I would design

• Haha
Reactions: fly
that, i would not do. I would use 384 select colors that require a spectrometer to tell the difference between some of them

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
canbus, distributed processors >>>>>>>>>>>> individual wires

Having 3 wires going into the drivers' door (power, ground, single wire CAN) is just beautiful.

The power windows, power mirrors, tailgate and fuel tank release switches and all that get sensed in the door, and the locks and windows and power mirrors and heated mirrors and shit all get driven in the door... instead of the old method of having a great big bundle of 30 fucking wires going into the door that bends and rubs against itself and shorts together so the car blows fuses or phantom rolls down the window and other bullshit.

canbus, distributed processors >>>>>>>>>>>> individual wires

Having 3 wires going into the drivers' door (power, ground, single wire CAN) is just beautiful.

The power windows, power mirrors, tailgate and fuel tank release switches and all that get sensed in the door, and the locks and windows and power mirrors and heated mirrors and shit all get driven in the door... instead of the old method of having a great big bundle of 30 fucking wires going into the door that bends and rubs against itself and shorts together so the car blows fuses or phantom rolls down the window and other bullshit.
That reminds me, I need to go through the bundle of 30 fucking wires going into the tailgate of the Audi, so that I can figure out why the wiper on the back window isn't working.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
also there's no way in fuck Tesla has one processor, or two processors as they say.

Their batteries, motor controllers, chargers, etc... are full of other processors. That shit isn't managed from the dashboard.

HMMWVs are this way. All black wires with waterproof connections. They put tags on the wires with numbers.

Another reason to never own one.
Sounds like they were made by the same people who made my old LaserJet. All purple wires, mostly the same connectors, but sometimes the positions in the harness were flipped, so you could burn a board out if you used the wrong jumper harness.

It did, however, show why Tesla's wiring harnesses are so expensive. Running every electrical component back to the "SINGLEBOARDOMGSUPERIOR" computer takes a shitload of copper. Sane manufacturers jumped on the CANbus architecture a long time ago, so they only have enough wires to support the network transmission lines.

See? You're already discovering ways in which the article you thought supported your point of view was complete and utter bullshit!

One step at a time towards a larger world.

Hang on, I thought Tesla had one central computer instead of 20+ ones spread across a CAN network like every other manufacturer?