Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Local dude Chad Hiltz finishing the fabrication work on one of his weird ass creations. Welded two cars together to make some sort of cabover... thing.

Somehow the whole thing makes him look like a little person. We have one locally who drives a monsterous 4X that is jacked to the sky. :lol: Short peoples.

One in a million. I was at a job site today where it's a secure facility. Have to provide drivers license at the security gate. As I pull my ID out of my wallet, it falls between the seat and center console. I go to reach for it and it slides under the console. Wtf.

I drove home after finishing the job (thankfully they let me in). Spent an hour trying to figure out how to get the center console apart. Cannot figure out how the fuck it is attached. I think my only options are to remove the front seats and maybe I can get at something that holds the console together.

I think I'll just get a new ID. Fuck trying to rip it apart further.

• Sad
Reactions: fly
Modification numero uno to the Alltrack.

Gotta mount up all the same hitch hardware I've bought for the UrS6, so I added a towbar. Dismounted and remounted the bumper without damaging any of the tabs, and only destroying one of the stupid plastic T15 screw bases (replaced with a round one from a Toyota plastic hardware kit).

messages_0.jpeg

Next job will be taking off the Fiesta Auto Group vinyl.

Step 2 of the "no cutting or welding required" ididit steering column installation: cut the old double D shaft to length for installing in the steering coupler.

Not wanting to figure out how to measure, I figured I'd just make a jig out of some scrap 2x4s (big spender, I know :p ) and start with the original, then do my best to match it up with the coupler.

Step 3 will be to weld the DD shaft into the coupler, because I'm not using only jam nuts to hold my steering wheel to the steering box.

Old:
240949643_10159235426049342_9211825931016963071_n.jpg

New:
240849031_10159235426104342_5886150452737169648_n.jpg

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I see it as a vehicle that someone could use as a daily driver and pick up their lawn mower from the repair shop on the way home and not worry about vacuuming (and shampooing) the “bed” out afterward.

My last new car was a 1995 4Runner. It was $33,000 new. It had every luxury item available at the time, and anytime I put a gas can or something in the “way back”, I fretted over every turn or bump I hit. That wouldn’t had happened in a Brat-like vehicle like that.

Hence the description “niche filler”. It’s not for everyone, and it’s not aimed to sway true truck owners away from their trucks either.