Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Well, I gots a turbo 4-banger

47wyK8h.jpg
More shit for your garage that will never get used?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
My dad decided he was going to try and get more pitting out of the GTO's steering wheel when we took the column off to put on a tilt/telescope column, and did this:

IMG_20210824_171011620.jpg

Sanded right through the plating into the pot metal.

Obviously, it's going to have to be refinished, as replating them seems like a non-starter. Anyone have a recommendation for what do now?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Get a replacement steering wheel. Like one of those badass chain ones.

Ok, maybe not a badass chain one. I'm sure there's something that'll suit the car real good available out of a hot rod parts catalog.

My dad decided he was going to try and get more pitting out of the GTO's steering wheel when we took the column off to put on a tilt/telescope column, and did this:

View attachment 14723

Sanded right through the plating into the pot metal.

Obviously, it's going to have to be refinished, as replating them seems like a non-starter. Anyone have a recommendation for what do now?
Looks like nickel finish? Super easy to replate in a tank, then give a coats of clear acrylic to protect it. That coppery layer may just have been a transitional layer so the outer plating would stick. DIfferent base metals need a different transitional. Like gold can't stick to cheap jewelers brass or many pot metals, so they flash on a layer of nickel. Just a few microns does the trick.

@Jehannum @gee

Ok, I'm ready to print this in order to start casting. Due to size and how I had to cut it up I'll end up printing it over roughly a week and a half to two weeks. Because of that I'd like to have a couple sets of eyes on this.

This is a 3D PDF, they're a bit finnicky to open, but if it doesn't open you can try updating Adobe.

Regular PDF calling out everything on here that I think should be on an intake.

EGR?

@Jehannum @gee

Ok, I'm ready to print this in order to start casting. Due to size and how I had to cut it up I'll end up printing it over roughly a week and a half to two weeks. Because of that I'd like to have a couple sets of eyes on this.

This is a 3D PDF, they're a bit finnicky to open, but if it doesn't open you can try updating Adobe.

Regular PDF calling out everything on here that I think should be on an intake.

EGR?

I don't recall what year your truck is, but an EGR is probably a good idea, and only takes an inlet port on the bottom of the plenum somewhere.

I would probably also separate the PCV and the brake booster vacuum sources, because you can end up with weird Venturi effects from how you split the line.

oh, and for some raisin, the clock in my 240Z started running again.

I oiled it back in 2009 with some graphite, and it worked for like a day, but it just started going again on the way back from Colorado Springs.

Looking at that pic again... heh @ the AC compressor in the lower left with no hoses going to it acting as an expensive idler.

Actually hooking it up would involve running hoses past the exhaust, or across the engine bay in ugly fashion. Not to mention finding a place to mount a condenser.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Looking at that pic again... heh @ the AC compressor in the lower left with no hoses going to it acting as an expensive idler.

Actually hooking it up would involve running hoses past the exhaust, or across the engine bay in ugly fashion. Not to mention finding a place to mount a condenser.
Yeah, it was definitely on the "to do" list.

There's plenty of room on the other side of the radiator core support for a condenser, and the lines would likely run that way too, as the entrance/exit lines for the condenser live on the other side of the engine compartment (passenger side of the firewall).