Ontopic The new car-seching thread

spock you dont say GIF

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
This is where one of the old guys jumps in and says "Get a push mower and make your kids cut the grass, builds character... and calluses."
Ive got a ton of giant lawn equipment, including two 61 inch mowers. Ive been mowing for the last 5 or 6 mows with a 22 inch push mower.

I enjoy the peace and quiet it gives me and the time to just be alone.

I started cause i redid the lawn, and you gotta handmow it for a while, but its beyond that point and i may keep it up anyway.

or buy a good one on craigslist for 1/4 the price of new and have all good parts.
If it's anything like kijiji up here, if it's good it's sold in 0.002 seconds, and a "doesn't run" mower is either a busted-plastic-cam-gear Briggs & Stratton that's only good for the scrap pile, or a Homelite cheap chinese engine that had gas left in it and now needs a carb you can't buy.

Or an old 80s-90s mower with a Tecumseh engine, with a manual choke and no flywheel brake.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
So our car is still borked. Mechanic has been sick. I'm just going to do it myself...

Some of the shit I've read about getting the valve body replaced mentions needing to relearn the transmission, which needs to be done at Subaru. Although I did see one post that said he just drove it around for a couple of weeks and it 'relearned'. You guys know anything about this part?

Since I'm only replacing a solenoid, I don't even know if I'd have to do it. Just trying to be prepared.

So our car is still borked. Mechanic has been sick. I'm just going to do it myself...

Some of the shit I've read about getting the valve body replaced mentions needing to relearn the transmission, which needs to be done at Subaru. Although I did see one post that said he just drove it around for a couple of weeks and it 'relearned'. You guys know anything about this part?

Since I'm only replacing a solenoid, I don't even know if I'd have to do it. Just trying to be prepared.
If you're unplugging the TCM for any significant length of time (like say, longer than it takes to change a battery), it might lose whatever's in memory, sort of like your radio stations going missing.

IDK about "relearning", but I'd probably drive it for at least a little distance to see how things go, then fall back on Subaru if it seems wonky.

Relearning is 100% a thing for this transmission. I just don't know if I'll need to do it just for the solenoid.
Short-term adjustments in a closed-loop feedback cycle are a thing for most machinery made since the late 1980s.

I'm just saying, if the default is to become so braindead that you need to run back to mommy dealership for the right tools to make it work at all, it's probably designed by fucking monkeys.

Short-term adjustments in a closed-loop feedback cycle are a thing for most machinery made since the late 1980s.

I'm just saying, if the default is to become so braindead that you need to run back to mommy dealership for the right tools to make it work at all, it's probably designed by fucking monkeys.
If you care, here's the process done here (at the exact time slice). Vehicle has to be off the ground, with the parking brake on so that the rear tires can't spin.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Reminds me of the "non-CONSULT" diagnostic modes on my Nissan - switch the ignition on and off 10 times within a minute, then hit the "auto" on the AC pod and leave the car in neutral, then touch your butthole on the shifter knob and lick the turn signal stalk in a clockwise manner three times.

Reminds me of the "non-CONSULT" diagnostic modes on my Nissan - switch the ignition on and off 10 times within a minute, then hit the "auto" on the AC pod and leave the car in neutral, then touch your butthole on the shifter knob and lick the turn signal stalk in a clockwise manner three times.

How many times did you fuck that up and have to do it over?

You just put it in neutral and wait 10 secs. You're doing extra

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie