Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Pontiac 455 with a 9:1 compression ratio, and Ram Air exhaust manifolds, magnaflow exhaust, and an edelbrock performer intake manifold, on a muncie m22 4 speed and a gm 10" positrack rear end with 3.55 gears.

Makes 300 HP. at 425 lb-ft

Wowee wow wow! /Christopher Walken
Crazy disparity in #s?? Truck engine? Was that thing on a rotisserie? Is that original paint? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have a 6 car garage?? Hah. <3

Wowee wow wow! /Christopher Walken
Crazy disparity in #s?? Truck engine? Was that thing on a rotisserie? Is that original paint? Inquiring minds want to know. Do you have a 6 car garage?? Hah. <3
Pontiac motors are all grunt. They don't have crazy big ports, and spinning 455 cubes to 8000 RPM in the '60s wasn't done.

My dad and I got it in '99, and it saw the road again in 2016 after a nut and bolt resto (full frame-off). It lives at my folks' house, but is titled and insured in my name, on my Grundy policy.

jaxUjFX.jpeg

That's pretty much the nicest boomer car I've ever seen. Congrats, man. I'd take a big motor flippy headlights late 60s Cougar or a 60s Olds 442 in this ones stead.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
That's pretty much the nicest boomer car I've ever seen. Congrats, man. I'd take a big motor flippy headlights late 60s Cougar or a 60s Olds 442 in this ones stead.
Thanks, it's been a long time in the works, and it's a fun thing to drive.

An Olds 442 would be the rough equivalent of the GTO.

They're both just up-jumped Chevelles with torque monster motors. Chevelle, Cutlass, Tempest/GTO, Skylark, and all the other various models/submodels that GM built on the A-body platform.

Pontiac 455 with a 9:1 compression ratio, and Ram Air exhaust manifolds, magnaflow exhaust, and an edelbrock performer intake manifold, on a muncie m22 4 speed and a gm 10" positrack rear end with 3.55 gears.

Makes 300 HP. at 425 lb-ft
Noice!!!!!!!!!!! I had a 69 Caddy with the 472(bored 455). GD, I'd pay $100 to burn 100' of rubber in your Goat. I always appreciate your purist efforts on these.

Noice!!!!!!!!!!! I had a 69 Caddy with the 472(bored 455). GD, I'd pay $100 to burn 100' of rubber in your Goat. I always appreciate your purist efforts on these.
Caddies 472/500 architecture was pretty much their own thing. I rented an Eldorado with the 500 in Las Vegas for a few hours, and it was hilarious to see the hood suck down when you gave it gas.

I live in fear of the day that 10 bolt gets traction, because even with the beefy axles I put in it (Moser? I think? It's been like 10 years, lol) that thing is gonna twist up like a pretzel.

Motor mount tore. Fucked my radiator.
Aftermarket mounts suck, Ford doesn't make 'em anymore. Gonna fabricate my own. Gonna basically look like this, but cost maybe $40 in material

Any of you guys have online shops you like for basic welding tabs and such? I generally go to Ballistic Fabrication, but they don't have the tabs I want right now.

• Sad
Reactions: HipHugHer
Finished the plumbing for fuel in the GTO today. I'd already done most of the leg work, in that I ran a -6 AN fuel feed and return line a few years ago when I put the electric fuel pump in for the Quickfuel carb (680 vacuum secondaries).

Tank with pig-tail fuel and electrical lines. The blue is the feed, the -6 black is the return, and the 3/16" line with the Y is for the tank vent.
IMG_20201231_133018836.jpg

Installed. The silver can at the top behind the diff is the rollover-safe tank vent.:
IMG_20201231_144702934.jpg

It came out pretty clean, I'm pretty happy with the work.

I'm super excited about having an in-tank pump that isn't deafeningly loud.

Last edited:
Motor mount tore. Fucked my radiator.
Aftermarket mounts suck, Ford doesn't make 'em anymore. Gonna fabricate my own. Gonna basically look like this, but cost maybe $40 in material

Any of you guys have online shops you like for basic welding tabs and such? I generally go to Ballistic Fabrication, but they don't have the tabs I want right now.
Rough print to verify random measurements found online.
y9txLiq.jpg

Rough CAD till JY opens and I can get some parts to verify measurements. Thoughts?
M1T3Jpx.jpg

Zb7dzYW.jpg

y9txLiq.jpg

Rough CAD till JY opens and I can get some parts to verify measurements. Thoughts?
M1T3Jpx.jpg

Zb7dzYW.jpg
Like last time, I have to wonder WTF your trans support bracket is doing at these at these times. Seems like one hell of a jump forward. Bummer deal.

y9txLiq.jpg

M1T3Jpx.jpg

Zb7dzYW.jpg

Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, I just don't remember mine looking like that. More of a solid rubber block with the bolts embedded in it, like these...

Or is that the next piece that goes between your bracket and the frame?

One of mine had sheared or dry rotted apart and I didn't notice it until I let the clutch out hard in reverse one day and the engine flopped to the side. Mild reverse wasn't enough to do it and the twisty force pushed that mount together in the forward gears, lol.

Sorry I'm not gonna be much help with cad drawings and online welders. That's something I'd have a local welder do.

And yeah check the others. If it moved enough to hit the radiator that's not the only one that's bad.

Outside chance LKQ might have that bracket somewhere in the country but most things that old have long since been picked over and crushed.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
How involved is that ^^ aside from the tank end of it?
Couple big injectors at the throttle body and use the same manifold or is there more hiding behind the valve cover in the pic?
TPS + MAF + O2 or fuel/air sensors + black box kit, or something else?
Just a TPS to tell it "spray more", lol?

Never seen one done as a retrofit/kit/add-on mod.

Couple big injectors at the throttle body and use the same manifold or is there more hiding behind the valve cover in the pic?

There's an O2 sensor, a coolant temp sensor, a fuel pump power relay, and bolting the thing down just like a carburetor (the ECU, manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, and throttle position sensor are in the throttlebody).

Because I'm a pedantic fuckwit, I TIG'ed a bung into the exhaust instead of using their cheesy clamp system.

The "injectors" seem to send fuel through rings of fine holes just ahead of the throttle plate.

There's an O2 sensor, a coolant temp sensor, a fuel pump power relay, and bolting the thing down just like a carburetor (the ECU, manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, and throttle position sensor are in the throttlebody).

Because I'm a pedantic fuckwit, I TIG'ed a bung into the exhaust instead of using their cheesy clamp system.

The "injectors" seem to send fuel through rings of fine holes just ahead of the throttle plate.

Good job. I saw the "no weld" or "no drill" or whatever that was O2 thing in that video and was kinda hmm...

Seems akin to old school fuel injection/TBI but with much better/more modern control. Will be nice not dicking around with some voodoo carburetor, especially living someplace with real elevation changes.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I remember as kids the folks took us on a vacation to Colorado so we could see real mountains and stuff. We tried at least twice, maybe 3 times, to drive up Pikes Peak in our mighty 1980 dodge power wagon and no amount of tinkering, including from local shops that supposedly knew how to adjust shit for thin air, would get that thing up the hill.

Many years later we met the folks there again for a week's stay, and again I tried to drive to the top of that mountain, this time in a pos 96 Kia sephia that burned oil I got for $400. It of course motored all the way up there like nobody's business, adjusting it's own mixture the whole way.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
Good job. I saw the "no weld" or "no drill" or whatever that was O2 thing in that video and was kinda hmm...

Seems akin to old school fuel injection/TBI but with much better/more modern control. Will be nice not dicking around with some voodoo carburetor, especially living someplace with real elevation changes.
There's a whole section of the installation that is confusing enough that I'm leaving it to my tuner - the timing control.

I guess the basic gist is that you completely lock out the advance mechanisms in the distributor, set the magnetic trigger to around 50 crank degrees before the actual event, then use an offset distributor rotor and set it all somehow in the ECU.

It seems pretty complicated. I have all of the parts to do it, just no confidence that I can. As a result, until my tuner gets his hands on it, I'm just running the stock distributor with a trigger wire instead of having it do full timing and dwell control.

Last edited: