Ontopic The new car-seching thread

It's probably built like a Jensen Interceptor.

Whatever parts they could source that week wound up in the car.

Also, this:

No, this is a feature common across the whole roadster line.

It's weird, but it's consistent. SAE fittings on the brake lines, SAE nuts/bolts in the body and dash, SAE bolts holding the suspension together, but everything holding the motor together and the transmission are metric.

Needs a back seat for making grandkids in.

That is some cool stuff you're doing with the kids there, J. They're gonna remember that forever.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I finally got all the parts to replace the head, settled on a color I liked to repaint the head, cleaned and prepped everything, chased threads on the old bolts and inspected new bolts, gather everything up and clean up my work area then remove the old head I had on the engine to keep stuff out of the cylinders

And I remembered that I had two snapped bolts in the case.

So I think on how I want to remove them and settle for trying to drill them out. One problem with drilling them out is that it is a pain in the ass to get the bit centered. So I 3D printed some stuff.

Turned out nicely.

Click on pics for big versions

That hole size sleeve thing is a smart idea. You need to get a set of those on the shelf at harbor freight or something. I'd buy it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
280ZX 15/16" master cylinder with fresh custom bent lines to line up to a series 1 240Z proportioning valve:

2020-06-21.jpg

Somehow lost the LF brake line, still looking for it.

Is that just floating there in space, hanging off the lines?

Wonder if it's got much mechanical resonance. Might have a few different resonances in a few different directions the way it's mounted.

Ok good. The shadow and lack of obvious mechanical attachment in that picture makes it look like it's just floating there...

In other news, my fucking engine hanging brackets finally arrived from Toyota, and I can do the clutch on the corolla!

Humid 30C days driving a black Fit with broken air conditioning on the highway is getting pretty fuckin' miserable.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
In other news, my fucking engine hanging brackets finally arrived from Toyota, and I can do the clutch on the corolla!

Humid 30C days driving a black Fit with broken air conditioning on the highway is getting pretty fuckin' miserable.

Put your water bottles in the freezer the night before and drink them as they thaw out. That's how you do it.

Does the Kids POS run at all or is the engine fucked.
Runs great. No smoke or anything noticeable. Hell, even the valve rockers sounded in adjustment.

The wiring is the very definition of janky, but all I wanted to see was whether it ran at all, so we rebuilt top of the distributor (new breaker point, new rotor, new cap, new plug wires, new plugs), got +12V to the coil, put the end of the fuel line into a spare gas can, and then bumped over the starter.

200626441Resized20200625195603.jpg
Ignition lock cylinder jammed in the Fit and stranded me at work.

Fuck this car.

• Sad
Reactions: Jehannum
New head, mocked up to get the paint on there.

Bolted on, torqued down, and testing the new flushing adapter. Pleasantly surprised with how well it works.

Helps to put a gasket in there, though.

Then its time to break out the paint stripper and Evapo-Rust

One on the left is done from the rust, the chrome is mostly gone. I saw some of these on eBay for $20-30 apiece and didn't pick them up. Still kicking myself about that.

Comparison of before and after Evapo-Rust, god I love this stuff.