Ontopic The new car-seching thread

FUCK YES, my shitty math worked.

Position 3 on the cam gear, 1 tooth retarded puts cam timing right on at TDC.

Head's torqued down, the timing cover is sealed up, and all I have to do is set the valve lash and stab the oil pump quill, then I'm ready to prime the fucker and break in the cam.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Gah, I was turning the thing over just now, trying to prime the oil system when I noticed: there's a big fucking hole on the back of the cam.

No wonder I wiped the goddamned lobes, the oil that was supposed to be in the cam was just draining out the back. Just happened to have a couple 1/4" NPT plugs sitting on the bench, so those went in. Don't know how that fucking thing had any oil pressure at all.

Good thing it's mentioned fuckin' nowhere in the directions. :tard:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Fuckin truck. Fuckin leaks.

Yes, this looks very close to the smog pump, but it has gone 360+k like that. I think something got moved when I replaced the engine.

Second pic is how much it leaked during 10 minutes of idling while I let it warm up to degrease it.

tgNTpQS.jpg

9816HNg.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Jehannum
Fuckin truck. Fuckin leaks.

Yes, this looks very close to the smog pump, but it has gone 360+k like that. I think something got moved when I replaced the engine.

Second pic is how much it leaked during 10 minutes of idling while I let it warm up to degrease it.

tgNTpQS.jpg

9816HNg.jpg
I bet it's the valve cover. It's always the fuckin' valve cover.

Finally got around to sorting out the disaster in my garage.

Started today organizing the bolts that have stacked up, by size and thread pitch. Turns out I have the entire strategic national reserve of M8x1.25mm bolts, which makes me wonder where exactly they've come from.

These aren't unsubstantial, they hold important things together, but I'm apparently doing fine without about 5 pounds of them.

Hey @shamwow your CTS got the 2.0 4?

Looking at a CTS to replace @AppleTurkey's 2006 M35x (which is both a little long in the tooth and starting to make uncomfortably tappety noises).

It'd be the sedan, and most of the sedans I see other than the V are now the 2.0L turbo 4, which I'm not opposed to (really anything but another VQ/VR/VHR at this point), but first-hand experience would be welcome.

Hey @shamwow your CTS got the 2.0 4?

Looking at a CTS to replace @AppleTurkey's 2006 M35x (which is both a little long in the tooth and starting to make uncomfortably tappety noises).

It'd be the sedan, and most of the sedans I see other than the V are now the 2.0L turbo 4, which I'm not opposed to (really anything but another VQ/VR/VHR at this point), but first-hand experience would be welcome.

We've got the 3.6l V6. It's a nice engine. Basically an LS with 2 cylinders wacked off.

GTO is up in the air to start converting it to fuel injection and put in the tilt/telescope steering column.

le merde bleue
133317789_10158661541824342_2057432672491123349_o.jpg

Old and busted regular fuel tank (which for some reason had a kinked vent line in the trunk):
IMG_20201229_144524827_HDR.jpg

New hotness (Sniper EFI tank with Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump):
IMG_20201229_144708205.jpg

T&T steering column:
IMG_20201225_110654678.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain
GTO is up in the air to start converting it to fuel injection and put in the tilt/telescope steering column.

le merde bleue
View attachment 13041

Old and busted regular fuel tank (which for some reason had a kinked vent line in the trunk):
View attachment 13042

New hotness (Sniper EFI tank with Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump):
View attachment 13043

T&T steering column:
View attachment 13044

Dang, dude! Not really a vintage guy but that's fucking stupid. What's the powertrain?

Dang, dude! Not really a vintage guy but that's fucking stupid. What's the powertrain?
Pontiac 455 with a 9:1 compression ratio, and Ram Air exhaust manifolds, magnaflow exhaust, and an edelbrock performer intake manifold, on a muncie m22 4 speed and a gm 10" positrack rear end with 3.55 gears.

Makes 300 HP. at 425 lb-ft

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie