Ontopic The new car-seching thread

The salesman never explained my car, how to charge, going over pairing my phone, the app, etc. Never talked about extended warranty or maintenance plans. Never talked about electricians for getting Level 2 charger installed even though Chevy has a list of certified people to work with. Never met with the service department of the dealer. Never did a car walk through. Didn't assist in getting the paperwork done for the Texas rebate for EV car sales. The finance guy, in the pandemic we are in, in the highly infected state that I am in, did not wear a mask and closed the door while we were signing papers, of which all we got for the car sale was one bill of receipt and that was it. When I brought my car in for trade in, they were going to give me $5000 until I told them Carmax was going to give me over $9500 to which they very quickly changed their tunes. I did a lot of leg work, getting papers ready for all of the rebates and such so that there wasn't any bargaining at all, but still they played the game of walking back and forth for 4+ hours, even after was I preapproved for a loan and could just cut them a check. The car I test drove was beat up with scratches everywhere, bad alignment, smokey interior, etc.

Now a lot of this stuff I can do myself, but when I wasn't even offered the help and I had to bring up anything, I did the leg work for all of the rebates and such, I did the research on the car, why is a dealer even involved (because Texas anti-Tesla laws are pathetic, and with Gigafactory moving into Austin hysterical)?

I have an issue with the tint the dealership put in, but I am afraid to go to them to get it looked at now.

You and cars. :lol:

And houses.

• Gravy
Reactions: dbzeag
I have an issue with the tint the dealership put in, but I am afraid to go to them to get it looked at now.
They'd key it and claim you brought it in that way. :p
That does sound like sucky service with the lack of assists on the rebate and charging system. Fucking salesperson should have one of the charger peeps on speed dial and get a little kickback for directing traffic to them. Not even good capitalists ffs.

They'd key it and claim you brought it in that way. :p
That does sound like sucky service with the lack of assists on the rebate and charging system. Fucking salesperson should have one of the charger peeps on speed dial and get a little kickback for directing traffic to them. Not even good capitalists ffs.
That being said, I did get a $40,330 MSRP car for $25,187 after TTL. That was before tradein and before TX EV rebates of $2500. Maybe they are just salty.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
The salesman never explained my car, how to charge, going over pairing my phone, the app, etc. Never talked about extended warranty or maintenance plans. Never talked about electricians for getting Level 2 charger installed even though Chevy has a list of certified people to work with. Never met with the service department of the dealer. Never did a car walk through. Didn't assist in getting the paperwork done for the Texas rebate for EV car sales. The finance guy, in the pandemic we are in, in the highly infected state that I am in, did not wear a mask and closed the door while we were signing papers, of which all we got for the car sale was one bill of receipt and that was it. When I brought my car in for trade in, they were going to give me $5000 until I told them Carmax was going to give me over $9500 to which they very quickly changed their tunes. I did a lot of leg work, getting papers ready for all of the rebates and such so that there wasn't any bargaining at all, but still they played the game of walking back and forth for 4+ hours, even after was I preapproved for a loan and could just cut them a check. The car I test drove was beat up with scratches everywhere, bad alignment, smokey interior, etc.

Now a lot of this stuff I can do myself, but when I wasn't even offered the help and I had to bring up anything, I did the leg work for all of the rebates and such, I did the research on the car, why is a dealer even involved (because Texas anti-Tesla laws are pathetic, and with Gigafactory moving into Austin hysterical)?

All that and some salesman got shirty with you? Fuck the manager, I'd fire off an email to corporate about how disappointed you are.

All that and some salesman got shirty with you? Fuck the manager, I'd fire off an email to corporate about how disappointed you are.
yep, no guilt there, your review if it was anything near as articulate as the post you just wrote was is just straight up factual. You're fine, they didnt make an effort for you, you dont have to make an effort for them.

If I leave a car dealer and theyre happy, I know im getting screwed somehow. Its part of their playbook to play the butthurt role if they even take the slightest hit on what the deal could have been if a person was completely naive.

I would have run out of there so fast.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Dealers around here have the same deals for Bolts.

Still can't convince @Mrs. Valve to go look at one.
It took a lot of convincing on my part with chim but they are surprisingly good cars. The interior quality is not that great, but the drivetrain is really top notch, and the build quality is better than Tesla. WAY more room than you can imagine for a car smaller than a VW Golf. Handles quite well, too, and 0-60 is very quick.

Finished this up this morning.

2020-10-24.jpg

80A ignition switched relay to feed the bottom 4 fuse slots (only one occupied ATM is the 10A for the fuel pump)
Other two relays are for low and high beam headlights, so that the halogens don't burn up my headlight switch.

Next trick will be making jump harnesses to go between the dash and engine compartment harnesses to get the right power to the right spot. Battery + will be coming from the battery side of the original fuse box (there's an unused white 10ga wire that's un-fused except insofar as the battery is fused at 60A). Ignition + will come from the original fuel pump lead.

Not common, but let me shake some trees and see what comes out.
I'm nowhere near ready to buy, but I'd be interested in prices for now.
I expect everything to be high because people are buying anything relatively project-like and working on them during the work from home period. 6 months after a vaccine when everyone gets tired of their half-finished shit is going to be an excellent time to buy.

This is the rough idea:

Doesn't have to be '73, but either in '74 or '76 they went to square headlights