Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Thanks for this. Both the site and the hardness info.
I didn't know what the correct term was for wear rating or "UTQG".

Would they give a manufacture date for the actual ones you'll receive if asked?

Also what's a general time frame before they start breaking down too much from age, like 8 years, 4 years, etc.
For example a 60,000 mile tire should have probably 4 years of life left in it while on the car.
Not sure if they give you the date if you ask, but they have decent customer service so they might

Depends on the tires. In the EU their DOT recommends 4-6 years per tire before replacing, but we don't have any hard standards. I think that the US DOT says a 10 year max. However, I had Michelins that still had good life at 8 years, and were showing no ill effects. They were rated for 80k miles though.

Read through these

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Thanks again for all the tire info you guys. Haven't narrowed it all down completely yet but can see I'll end up with something good for fair money.

Now if only people would refrain from posting reviews such as, "I just got these tires yesterday and they're so much better than the bald shit I took off there I just know they'll last 75 years. Super awesome! The best! 5 stars!"

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
I was wrong. That hole is definitely buggered. The parts fiche specifies an M8x1.25x30mm bolt, and I only got 17mm of bolt out.

Time for a right angle drill and some creativity.

The hole's blind, so I need to center up the hole I drill.
IMG_20201005_163017645_HDR.jpg

The inside is 3/16", outside is 8mm.
IMG_20201005_163055729_HDR.jpg

Pug fuckery:
IMG_20201005_163157894.jpg

Dildo emplaced:
IMG_20201005_163224709.jpg

Hole drilled:
IMG_20201005_173030724.jpg

Gonna try and use an extractor tomorrow in the light, or go up in size until I hit the right size for an m8x1.25mm helicoil. Haven't decided yet.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I was wrong. That hole is definitely buggered. The parts fiche specifies an M8x1.25x30mm bolt, and I only got 17mm of bolt out.

View attachment 12615

View attachment 12616

Pug fuckery:
View attachment 12617

Dildo emplaced:
View attachment 12618

Hole drilled:
View attachment 12619

Gonna try and use an extractor tomorrow in the light, or go up in size until I hit the right size for an m8x1.25mm helicoil. Haven't decided yet.

your drill bit looks huge for the application. Or is that a left handed drill bit for extraction? Careful you dont work harden the bolt. Id drill a hole no larger than 1/3-3/5 the size of the hole for the extractor

your drill bit looks huge for the application. Or is that a left handed drill bit for extraction? Careful you dont work harden the bolt. Id drill a hole no larger than 1/3-3/5 the size of the hole for the extractor
I meant to use the 5/16" extractor, because there's only about 13mm of bolt left in the hole.

View attachment 12615

View attachment 12616

Pug fuckery:
View attachment 12617

Dildo emplaced:
View attachment 12618

Hole drilled:
View attachment 12619

By far, this is my most favorite use of a 3D printer.

I'll say again one of you guys needs to get a set of those on the shelf at harbor freight. I can't be the only one who'd buy it.

Done it before with a piece of wood dowel but it ain't exactly easy to get the hole center and true without a drill press.

Daughter calls Monday, I can tell she is near tears. "My car screwed up, wouldn't accelerate, I made it to the nearest place and they say $6k, new trans." *My first jerb was in a tran shop. We did a little over the phone diagnosis, since I can't really go to Chicago to work on her car. I told her have, have it towed to the dealer, those guys are trying to fuck you. Vacuum line, small seal and some fresh meats for the front - $350 out the door. :lol: Told her to leave the first fucks a nasty review.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
After much heartache, the Audi is back on the road.

For a little while anyway. Saw that the driver's side front outer cv boot is fucked proper. Waiting on parts to do that job

By the time the boots fail the rest ain't far behind, just do the whole axle, it's actually easier than screwing around with boots and grease.