Ontopic The new car-seching thread

If I weren't a stubborn asshole, I'd have the Audi back on the road today. Replaced the clutch master cylinder, and readjusted the clutch switch that got bashed out of the bracket, but because I always replace clutch hydraulics in pairs, I still need to get the slave cylinder installed.

However, it's on the top of the transmission, below the steering rack, and mounts so that the boot and rod go into the bellhousing backwards, because Audi, I guess.

Took the driver-side trans mount out to give myself more room from below, and made an M12x1.0 inverted flare cap so that I could evacuate the pressure from the part, leaving only spring pressure on the piston and rod, but still couldn't get it square in.

• Sad
Reactions: wetwillie
Fucking hell, I think the securing bolt for the slave cylinder is broken in the hole.

I didn't feel it break on the way out, but the end looks funky.

This is a transmission out service. Fuck.

• Sad
Reactions: HipHugHer
Fucking hell, I think the securing bolt for the slave cylinder is broken in the hole.

I didn't feel it break on the way out, but the end looks funky.

This is a transmission out service. Fuck.

nah, get a welding rod nice and stuck to the bolt remnant and turn the rest of it out.

• Gravy
Not a carb free night

201002799image000000.jpg

Where (or maybe how) do you guys shop tire deals online? Just search Amazon or are there other places? Some kind of deal finder site like there are for plane tickets?

Never done it. Need something decent, all-season for the Buick. Good rain performance is a plus as long as they're not directional. No other specialties like mud, snow, etc.

Also is there an identifier in manf. codes or something that identifies the hardness? Or descriptions like softer, sticks better, but wears faster. Just glean that stuff from reviews?

Thanks.

Where (or maybe how) do you guys shop tire deals online? Just search Amazon or are there other places? Some kind of deal finder site like there are for plane tickets?

Never done it. Need something decent, all-season for the Buick. Good rain performance is a plus as long as they're not directional. No other specialties like mud, snow, etc.

Also is there an identifier in manf. codes or something that identifies the hardness? Or descriptions like softer, sticks better, but wears faster. Just glean that stuff from reviews?

Thanks.
Costco

• Gravy

Thanks.
As an example

580 is the wear rating/hardness

Tire Rack is usually who I go to if I don't get a buddy to get me a deal

I can check there as well as a bunch of other places locally. I just hear of people getting better deals online, have them sent to your house, and just pay a local guy to mount & balance.

Thanks though. I'll add Costco to the list.

Thanks.
I shop this discount tire store on ebay. Saves a few bucks, and if you mount them at discount, they will let you buy the road hazard certificates.

• Gravy
As an example

580 is the wear rating/hardness

Tire Rack is usually who I go to if I don't get a buddy to get me a deal

Thanks for this. Both the site and the hardness info.
I didn't know what the correct term was for wear rating or "UTQG".

Would they give a manufacture date for the actual ones you'll receive if asked?

Also what's a general time frame before they start breaking down too much from age, like 8 years, 4 years, etc.
For example a 60,000 mile tire should have probably 4 years of life left in it while on the car.

I shop this discount tire store on ebay. Saves a few bucks, and if you mount them at discount, they will let you buy the road hazard certificates.

So it's a little less to buy them through eBay then have the store mount them. Seems weird but thanks I'll check that.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum