Ontopic The new car-seching thread

If you don't have access to an AC TIG welder, you could braze the thing back together with aluminum brazing rods. Add a whole lot of extra brazing rod where the crack formed to fatten it up.

For either brazing or tigging that thing back together, getting the surface coat off it is gonna be fun.

I was more looking for something along throttle linkage or shift linkage size. That just seems to pull up steering parts.
Jackscrew gives me some results.

Might've helped if you mentioned it wasn't really for the fuckin tie rod.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Here's what happens:
View attachment 12530

It's a common failure for S6 owners with heavy clutches, on account of the thing's a cast aluminum part.

I'll figure out how to TIG it back together and add some gussets. Worse comes to worst, and I'll figure out how to 3D scan the thing, and have my friend CNC it out of steel.

Looks like something I'd just cut out of a piece of structural red iron and drill some holes in.
Any reason other than a few ounces of weight it really needs to be thin braced aluminum?

I expect the answer to be a few ounces of weight as well as a sufficiently nerdish reason why.

Well, considering that "rod ends" pulls up the below, I fuckin thought I fuckin had it fuckin covered

View attachment 12533

fuckin.

Turnbuckle is technically correct, it just generally means this.

TURNBUCKLE.jpgET004.jpg

What you need is whatever the word is for a pipe threaded on the interior, right hand on one end, left hand on the other, that's not a tie rod.

Duh...i know.

Try writing that entire description into Google.

Looks like something I'd just cut out of a piece of structural red iron and drill some holes in.
Any reason other than a few ounces of weight it really needs to be thin braced aluminum?

I expect the answer to be a few ounces of weight as well as a sufficiently nerdish reason why.
IDK, probably because Ze Germans have never met a device that they couldn't find a way to shoehorn a few more fragile parts into?

I'll stick with aluminum because I can TIG plate onto either side and not worry about corrosion.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
IDK, probably because Ze Germans have never met a device that they couldn't find a way to shoehorn a few more fragile parts into?

I'll stick with aluminum because I can TIG plate onto either side and not worry about corrosion.

Lame. I was expecting something about pedal feel, balance, return spring tension or force or some such.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Well, all of that is on the guts side of the clutch pedal.
Cheapness of a casting or forging, lightness, and lack of needing to corrosion-proof would be on my mind for it.

I'll go with lightness/weight. Or "because we can". None of the other stuff adds up.

huh, interdasting.

It looks like I didn't break the pedal, but the rod that connects the pedal to the master cylinder.

Ordered new master and slave cylinders, and will do the job when I get back from Wisconsin. For some reason, Audi put the master under the dash, so that's gonna be fun.

Under dash? Sucks to be you, broseph.
Might be worth while to bring the pedal out and slap some reinforcements on it while you have it disassembled?
Not only is it under the dash, the reservoir is shared with the brake master, so I'll have to drain the reservoir, which will be messy.