Ontopic The new car-seching thread

So, broke out the engine support bar to drop the clutch in the corolla, hung the engine hangers off the engine... and they're pretty much on diagonal corners of the engine. That ain't gonna work...

Gonna bring back the bar tomorrow (yay, Princess Auto return policy) and get myself a proper engine hoist. They've got this dude on for cheap in the flyer:

Hey, this guy's on clearance too, which will come in handy:

You can man-handle anything that says Japan on it come on what the fuck man. You're thinking too much. Less talk, more do.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
You can man-handle anything that says Japan on it come on what the fuck man. You're thinking too much. Less talk, more do.
Engine on the corolla is held in place with 1 engine mount and 2 transmission mounts, and I'm not gonna be supporting it on its plastic oil pan when I haul the transmission out. And with AC lines and power steering lines and wiring harness and shit going between the engine and the car that me fucking up could destroy... yeah, I'm gonna support the engine proper for this job.

Started repairing the dash today; following a howto that's pretty well known in the Z community. I started by V'ing out the cracks with a flap wheel on my dremel, and then filled it in with Great Stuff foam.

V'd out:
108236536_10158223402884342_4947275918180665759_o.jpg

Great Stuff'd:
107381917_10158223402784342_2222288528643027267_o.jpg

The next step will be sanding flush and then topping it out with flexible glazing putty.

Today's dumb lesson:

First thing the Toyota service manual tells you to do is drain the transmission fluid. I hadn't done this yet, and figured I'd wait till I have to pull the drive axles before I did.

So I'm underneath the engine, removing the ground strap from the transmission, pull the bolt out that holds it and surprise! 10 year old gear oil down my neck and shoulder.

I've probably got my neck rubbed raw at this point with Fast Orange and I can still smell the shit. Fuck.

Engine on the corolla is held in place with 1 engine mount and 2 transmission mounts, and I'm not gonna be supporting it on its plastic oil pan when I haul the transmission out. And with AC lines and power steering lines and wiring harness and shit going between the engine and the car that me fucking up could destroy... yeah, I'm gonna support the engine proper for this job.

Mostly just talking smack but you knew that.

As you've probably realized by now those things really aren't that heavy but they're awkward, cumbersome, oddly weighted and balanced, etc.
On the way back together sometimes it really is easier to just manhandle it the last inch/half inch or so to get everything to line up.
When everything is right it'll fully seat easy. Don't use the tightening of bolts to help bring it together. If that seems necessary something isn't lined up and you'll just end up shoving the shaft in and cracking the rear of the housing with the other end of it.

Followup on the sketch-ily repaired Infiniti: it is still not leaking oil, and the cooling system's demons seem exorcised.

I'm kinda impressed with myself.

Harbor freight is accepting all steel jack stands for returns now. For the 3 ton set they will give you $25 cash or 30$ gift card. 50$ cash or 60$ gift card for the 6 ton.

Rusted out V6 RAV4 popped up on the local buy'n'sell for 750 bucks for parts.

I so want to buy it, pull the 2GR-FE and computer out of it and stuff it in the Corolla.

Apparently it legos in real easy, it's a common swap that the MR2 community has pretty much figured out, and plenty of people have done it in the Corolla/Matrix too. Biggest complication is custom exhaust, and getting the computer reprogrammed to disable the immobilizer and auto transmission stuff. I need an E351 manual transmission out a of a Camry/xB or 2.4L corolla/matrix, and a flywheel/clutch off a 1MZ V6. Bolts in with all the stock mounts.

Putting a 270hp V6 in a boring ass Corolla would make a hilarious sleeper.

Except with work I gotta do on the house and everything, this swap isn't really in the cards for now. Maybe in a few years the Corolla will get retired from daily driver to project car...

Ordered some 80 ShA urethane casting resin. If I can print up molds to make replacement urethane bushings for the roadster suspension for < $500, I'll be money ahead.

Maybe even give 'em to the community afterwards.

Ordered some 80 ShA urethane casting resin. If I can print up molds to make replacement urethane bushings for the roadster suspension for < $500, I'll be money ahead.

Maybe even give 'em to the community afterwards.
We cast Flexane urethane in disposable 3D printed molds at work, for overmolding underwater cable joints and whatever.

Print the mold out of PLA with thin walls (1-2mm) and coat it with a suitable mold release first. Cast your part and let it fully cure, then heat the thing up in an oven to 100C to soften the PLA, put on some Ove-Gloves (seriously) and peel the PLA off by hand.

Also, pull a vacuum on your urethane after you mix it, but before you pour it, to get the air bubbles out of it. It'll "boil" when you do this and possibly make a mess, look out. About 1/3c of mixed Flexane 80 will almost overflow a standard red solo cup.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum