Ontopic The new car-seching thread

...though I did neglect to mention that, while installing the alternator (you have to pull it out to get the timing cover off), I dropped the entire thing in the waste oil tub under the car.

I'm reasonably sure it will still work, as it's worked for at least 5 years underneath a steady drip of power steering fluid.

Though if I ever find the Nissan engineer that carried that particular arrangement (power steering pump over the alternator) through from 1984 (with the introduction of the turbo VG) all the way to the present day with the VQ, I'm going to jelly my cock down his/her/its throat.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
...though I did neglect to mention that, while installing the alternator (you have to pull it out to get the timing cover off), I dropped the entire thing in the waste oil tub under the car.

I'm reasonably sure it will still work, as it's worked for at least 5 years underneath a steady drip of power steering fluid.

Though if I ever find the Nissan engineer that carried that particular arrangement (power steering pump over the alternator) through from 1984 (with the introduction of the turbo VG) all the way to the present day with the VQ, I'm going to jelly my cock down his/her/its throat.
alternators are kinda the one thing you dont wanna get oil on though..... only thing worse is a starter

Decided to swap frames between the parts roadster and the resto-roadster.

The resto-roadster took a hit on the driver side corner, and futzed all the suspension. The parts car only rolled into a wall and munged the front, so it's a win. The parts car now has everything of value stripped from it, so all that's left is lifting the body off and cutting the front left fender mount off, then we'll have it hauled away.

Probably keep both frames until the kids are done POR-15'ing the donor frame and assembling the suspension in the back yard.

Bought one of those vacuum fluid extractor things, and just did the oil in the Q5 with it.

Holy fuck why didn't I buy one of these things ages ago. Makes oil changes clean, quick and stupid easy.

I just took the Infiniti on a shakedown cruise and nothing exploded and no oil blasted out, so I must have done something right.

The only active leak I noticed was from the oil drain plug, which I hadn't tightened, and I took care of it before we took off.

I expect the real issue was probably just the fan control unit, but the water pump was clearly weeping, the thermostat/water outlet was corroded to shit, and the hoses weren't in great shape. I should probably replace the rest of the external shaped coolant hoses (the water outlet bypass, the throttlebody coolant loop, the hoses that for some reason go through the oil filter housing, etc), but that's a problem for future me.

although kinda pricey.

There appear to be far better ones at westmarine/grainger for cheaper

I'm itching to offload this M35x now that everything is taken care of (for the moment).

@AppleTurkey has only a few criteria: automatic transmission, not an SUV/CUV, and a wagon-ish thing (if possible)

In the running for replacing it are:
2018-ish Buick Regal TourX
2014 Acura TSX sportwagon
2013 Audi Allroad
CTS-V wagon (pie in the sky, probably won't be able to find one)

I'm gonna put a hard NO on anything with a VQ35/37, so Nissan is pretty much out. I'm also putting the kibosh on Subaru, because flat-4 life is asking for trouble.

Any obvious things I've overlooked?