Ontopic The new car-seching thread

kk, yeah they said to press the shop or her company for a rental

The big deal is State Farm told me it's like a year to recover the deductible. I've done that before and it took 5 years. That's the major reason behind going through hers.
What's your deductible? Mine's $250, I blow through that amount on stupid shit I don't even want in a day.

What's your deductible? Mine's $250, I blow through that amount on stupid shit I don't even want in a day.
Mines $500, but we are in very different markets. Youve seen how much I pay for comprehensive. That's why I was trying to move to NM lol I might ask her for the 500 to cover it and pay it back later. She's super cool, lives in her truck.

Started on the Audi's paint work today.

In primer:
messages_0(5).jpeg

Got the sail panel for the back in color:
messages_0(4).jpeg

That should dry matte, and I still need another coat or two. I'm not doing base/pearl/clear on the rest until I've got the bumper flat, which should be any day now™, provided I get the most problematic spot to join and stay together.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Isn't this great?
ryLK6ED.jpg

Except, you know, for this.
FAEii9p.jpg

Seriously, its fucking taller than the god damned roof. WTF.
yX04Nt9.jpg

no-sir-i-dont-like-it.gif

So, let's look around

ZluhrJt.png

EruiiB1.jpg

jswCdoi.jpg

Square peg, round hole
8jOt6ub.jpg

5WQgyTo.jpg

QA8aZ98.jpg

LQ0leSW.jpg

OeyT7BH.jpg

Needs TIGing, needs sanding, needs paint, but I'm a lot happier
NlRkeLJ.jpg
5gAakLt.jpg

kmQ2pXS.jpg

The post office things are actually Chevy S-10s with a modified wheelbase.
The post office jeeps?
I remember when the S10, and American small pickups in general, first came out. There were post office jeeps for a long time before that. Or so it seems based on things I'd seen and read.
Our mailman drove a Plymouth valare with an automatic transmission. He sat in the passengers seat and steered and drove the thing with his left hand and left foot.
That was before people got all uptight about dwi and seatbelts and shit and they'd still take a Canadian nickel for candy cigarettes and a 10 year old driving themselves around on whatever machinery they could get a hold of was no big deal.

Back when the country was free and people still had dignity.

The post office jeeps?
I remember when the S10, and American small pickups in general, first came out. There were post office jeeps for a long time before that. Or so it seems based on things I'd seen and read.
Our mailman drove a Plymouth valare with an automatic transmission. He sat in the passengers seat and steered and drove the thing with his left hand and left foot.
That was before people got all uptight about dwi and seatbelts and shit and they'd still take a Canadian nickel for candy cigarettes and a 10 year old driving themselves around on whatever machinery they could get a hold of was no big deal.

Back when the country was free and people still had dignity.
Those little trucks they drive around now are S10s basically. They are called Grumman LLVs.

There are three different kinds of mail carriers.

There are contract carriers that usually drive their own cars and dont have uniforms. That's like very rural.
There are "rural carriers" they are paid less and uniforms are optional but they use post office equipment.
City carriers are kinda like what people think of when they think of the post office, but outside of large cities most offices only have like 1 or 2. You use all post office equipment and they give you a uniform. You also get paid more but the schedule at the moment is 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, and like you basically cant go home until everything is done.

I was a city carrier which is why I dont work for them anymore. It was just stupid during the pandemic. Everyone was quitting, entire floors of the sorting facility were shut down on account of COVID breakouts, and the entire culture, at least at the baltimore office, is solidly toxic.

Got the new water pump in the Audi.

The harmonic balancer has 3 marks. Two on the rim (where one would expect) and one on the hub. One of them might correspond to 0°, at least insofar as when I align the pulley with that mark, the G4 (crank position) and G40 (cam position) sensors agree enough that it starts. It's a Fluidampr unit adapted from a B5 S4 (2.7T) to the B4 S6 (2.2T) hub. I kinda-sorta figured out 0° with a long extension sitting in #1 cylinder, but I'm not entirely convinced it's totally correct. Gonna have to get a degree wheel or a piston stop, I think, and sort it out that way.

BUTT. It's not leaking from the water pump anymore.

New welder is in. Accessory pack is running behind. Get everything setup and put together in order to test weld.

:sigh:
They didn't include tungsten for it.

Its a small thing, but c'mon. One fucking rod so I don't have to go out.

I love the Mexican mechanic places. Other places are like no you need new rotors, they are like eh the rotors are still there get pads and install for $20.

My car is probably a death trap but hey it gets me from here to there.

And yes I'm aware it's simple. All my tools are duct taped in my trunk and I don't have a jack.