Ontopic The new car-seching thread

So last week, the ignition switch broke on the Fit and stranded me at work. Fucking Honda locks.

Ignition switch was held on with a couple of headless bolts and the fab shop was locked so I couldn't get tools to haul it out, and the missus had to come rescue me in the audi.

Had to remove 5 out of 8 pins in the lock to get it to turn smoothly again. The steel pins rub against the die cast aluminum tumbler and chew it up until the pins get stuck. Stupid fucking design. Go to put the whole assembly back together and it's not working right, fucked something up when I got it apart. Gonna continue fucking with that tomorrow.

Alternative is to spend $875 on a new ignition switch kit that comes with new keys and door locks and everything, do all the work, then tow the thing to the dealer to spend $200 to get them to program the immobilizer to accept the new keys... fuck that.

In the meantime, I plugged the immobilizer back in and have that hanging below the steering wheel with the key laying in it, and I've got the electrical side of the ignition switch hanging below the steering wheel too, and I turn that with a flathead screwdriver and the thing runs. Drove home like that tonight. I've literally hotwired my fucking car.

The turn signal stalk and wiper stalk mount to the ignition switch, so they're just flopping around on the steering shaft, so using turn signals / operating the wipers is a challenge :)

So last week, the ignition switch broke on the Fit and stranded me at work. Fucking Honda locks.

Ignition switch was held on with a couple of headless bolts and the fab shop was locked so I couldn't get tools to haul it out, and the missus had to come rescue me in the audi.

Had to remove 5 out of 8 pins in the lock to get it to turn smoothly again. The steel pins rub against the die cast aluminum tumbler and chew it up until the pins get stuck. Stupid fucking design. Go to put the whole assembly back together and it's not working right, fucked something up when I got it apart. Gonna continue fucking with that tomorrow.

Alternative is to spend $875 on a new ignition switch kit that comes with new keys and door locks and everything, do all the work, then tow the thing to the dealer to spend $200 to get them to program the immobilizer to accept the new keys... fuck that.

In the meantime, I plugged the immobilizer back in and have that hanging below the steering wheel with the key laying in it, and I've got the electrical side of the ignition switch hanging below the steering wheel too, and I turn that with a flathead screwdriver and the thing runs. Drove home like that tonight. I've literally hotwired my fucking car.

The turn signal stalk and wiper stalk mount to the ignition switch, so they're just flopping around on the steering shaft, so using turn signals / operating the wipers is a challenge :)
The VW ignition scheme involves pretty much everything that feeds the dash and ECU going through the ignition switch which was designed to a price point. They tend to fail in a very predictable way - the entire thing is plastic, and the spring that's supposed to rotate the switch back cracks the housing from the stay it butts up against, which then starts to separate the contacts in the switch minutely.

I can tell when it starts, because the volt meter starts to droop. That affects everything else, because the ECU relies on that voltage for things like injector delay and ignition dwell.

So, I have 3 or 4 spare ignition switches (mercifully separate from the key cylinder) that I keep on the shelf. The genuine OEM is only $35, so it's not a horrible expense, but the one in the Audi was broken when I bought it, and I replaced it with a convenient aftermarket one that's starting to show signs of failure again.

Went and re-torqued the head studs on the Audi the other day (it's recommended to retorque them once, after you've given the car a few heat cycles, so I finally got around to it), and folded the valve cover gasket while reinstalling it, then poured about a quart of oil through the timing belt.

Hooray for self-inflicted wounds!

I have corrected the problem, and found along the way that the suction line for the hydraulic pump is leaking, so I ordered that, plus a new ignition switch (to get free shipping), at a low, low price of $110 USD (plus however much redline PSF I have to buy to refill the fucker).

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
So, I have 3 or 4 spare ignition switches (mercifully separate from the key cylinder) that I keep on the shelf. The genuine OEM is only $35, so it's not a horrible expense, but the one in the Audi was broken when I bought it, and I replaced it with a convenient aftermarket one that's starting to show signs of failure again.
Fit ignition switch/lock assembly = ~$600 USD. The electrical part isn't sold separate, though you can buy aftermarket ones for ~$80.
OEM Audi ignition switch = $35 USD.

BUT AUDI PARTS ARE SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE.

I have to dart down to Audi sometime today and pick up an oil filter. It'll be the last oil change I do on the Q5 for a while because it's about to roll over to 100K km, at which point the Audicare package the previous owner bought kicks in which covers oil changes/brakes/tires/everything.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Fit ignition switch/lock assembly = ~$600 USD. The electrical part isn't sold separate, though you can buy aftermarket ones for ~$80.
OEM Audi ignition switch = $35 USD.

BUT AUDI PARTS ARE SOOOOOO EXPENSIVE.

I have to dart down to Audi sometime today and pick up an oil filter. It'll be the last oil change I do on the Q5 for a while because it's about to roll over to 100K km, at which point the Audicare package the previous owner bought kicks in which covers oil changes/brakes/tires/everything.
Hey, I'm not gonna complain about Audi parts prices after paying Nissan prices.

My golf partner, first, became homeless almost willingly, because he didn’t want to share a rental or have a roommate.

Then his car (late ‘90s Durango) took a shit. It stayed in front of his workplace, and he slept in it on weekdays and I don’t know on weekends. We stopped golfing on Sundays when the Corona hit.

He gets laid off (‘rona), and ultimately, his employer closes that location permanently. During one text exchange, he boasts that he’s now making $1,000 a week (roughly twice what he made while working). I was hoping he was saving for a fucking car. After two months, he admitted he was “saving for a car”.

Yesterday he texts and says he’s going to look at a car. He told me the make and model, and I found it online before he told me miles, or color, anything. A 2007 Dodge Caliber with 250,000 miles on a four banger with a CVT, which can be problematic in those, so I read. $2500.

WTF dude. That’s all he managed to save? I looks nice enough online, but the miles. Holy fuck. And it’s from a dealership! One on a strip of dealer that ALL get cars from auctions, hoses them down and drenches them in Armorall, then rips people off.

What a fucking dumbass. I’m considering retiring my e-golfer.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
To catalog my failure, consider my wife's M35x.

On Friday, I attempted to replace the water pump. Standard procedure is: rotate the engine to top or bottom dead center, remove the main timing chain tensioner, and rotate back about 20° while holding tension on the chain with your finger. That frees up the chain on the water pump side to allow for its removal (since it's a chain driven thing).

I tried that, but as soon as I got a third hand on the tensioner, I heard the driver side cam gear go "click", which turned my afternoon from bad to shit. So, I pulled off the entire front cover (which naturally is gasketed with RTV instead of an actual gasket), pulled out the power steering pump (which I'd been meaning to do anyway, since the fucking thing is leaking from the front seal, slowly oozing through the alternator before exiting below the car), dropped the oil pan, and re-timed the fucking thing.

That all went well (I think, I haven't been able to determine if there's an active leak or if it's just shedding shit from being covered in goo all Friday), but I can't restart the thing because I completely failed at rebuilding the power steering pump. So, now the wife has to deal with my shitty Audi for work tomorrow, to give me time to reinstall a new power steering pump that's inbound from Phoenix.

Then, if the stars align, and I've kissed enough babies, it won't have a huge fucking oil or coolant leak. If it does leak, I'm taking it down to my mechanic and throwing money at him to get the job done.