Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Shimmed out the hood so that it lines up side to side.

In taking out the rubber hood alignment bumpers and replacing the fender hardware (which were, naturally, in the wrong holes), I completely skull-fucked one of the bolts, so I spent a half hour drilling it out and re-tapping the hole.

Also finished up the driver side interior pieces. The door is clad, the weather strips are on, the window and frame are in and lined up, the interior panels are in and attached. I need to put the brake lines and fuel tank back in before I can finish the passenger side, because the vapor tank is in that C-pillar.

Could use new struts on the front. Not terrible yet but getting a little squishy. Do that when it's time for new tires. Rears were replaced not long before I got it.
Not bad for 18 years old.

Also the bearing in the AC compressor is getting a little noisy but you can do that while it's on the car. Don't have to open the system or lose any refrigerant.
$30.....BFD.

All I have left on the Datsun's outside is the hatch and the cowl. Should get those tonight, then go over the outside with a fine-tooth comb and see what all I missed in the initial cut/buff.

Also ordered a "universal" 21 circuit wiring harness to enable me to chuck the 50 year-old bundle of copper turd in the trash without guilt.

This guy's wiring diagram doesn't look too retarded, so I'll probably go with that, but add two relays for the kill switch (one on the coil, one on the fuel pump): http://ace240z.com/electrical.html

@Jehannum , did you do some work to your brake calipers while you were working on the Z?

3C1yajV.jpg

Just walked around the garage for 40 minutes looking for the circlips that had managed to stick themselves to the magnets on the bottom of my flashlight.

So I gave up for the day.

Got both of the doors back together, though.

Started sorting through my new wiring harness.

20200613_151619.jpg

It has almost everything I need. Only things that aren't covered are interior lights, and the relay harness for the headlights, which I can re-jigger from my existing crap.

Got a code for the maf sensor on the Buick.
Proper cleaner didn't fix it.
Gonna go junkyarding tomorrow and lose 3 or 4 maf sensors in the bowels of my tool baggery while getting some other shit I needed anyway.
Shame me. Ask me if I care.

For whatever reason, VW's chosen "expansion tank" cap (read: radiator cap) for my Audi is still in production, at $44. I didn't know that it was still in production, so I had bought a "Uro parts" thinger for $5. The Uro cap was (surprise surprise) leaking.

After someone on my Audi forum let me know that the OEM part was still available, I found out that there's an OEM cap off of a Porsche 996 that fits the tank, and has more or less the same specs (except it's more fancy in that it has two stages of pressure relief, one at 1.2 bar, one at 1.5), for only $25.

So now I've got a Porsche part on my Audi.

Previous owner doesn't have any? None from FB or something?
Dont bogart, man
Nah.

I don't know who the titled PO was, but the guy I'm getting it from isn't super active on facebook. I just happened to be over there helping him with his '96 300ZX, and saw it. He told me he was in a tight spot, because he was going to landscape the area it was sitting, so he was looking to offload it.

I've been over there once since, but it was dark.

I promise, I'll take pics when it gets here. The kids spent the morning cutting a Russian Olive sapling out of the spot where it's gonna live.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Louise's Infiniti did something alarming the other day, which led me to buy replacements for all of the cooling system on her VQ35DE.

Based on my experience with Gates shite in the past, I ordered almost all of it under the Gates brand name, but I should have fuckin' read some Amazon reviews first, look at this shit:

Amazon product ASIN B001C97VUU
So, now I've got an OEM water pump coming, instead.