Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Put VW coils in my Nissan. Because axis powers.

100907723_658034998081270_582871106956820480_n.jpg

100886672_176794697084122_8394393703199801344_n.jpg

Should finally get a hot minute to polish the Datsun tomorrow and next week. Would have done it today, but there's some shit weather going on, and I don't want to sand dirt into the paint.

So.

Strap in, 'cuz this gets retarded.

I took the valve covers off the Nissan last weekend, because I wanted to see if, when I rebuilt the motor 12 years ago, I used OEM washers on the ARP head studs (as I should have), or the ARP washers (which are too small and eventually make the lands for the washers unusable by digging into the aluminum). When I was looking, I unbolted the heads.

That lifted them slightly.

So, the oil and coolant mixed.

Also not a huge deal, I swapped the fluids today.

But, my oil recycling jug was full.

Like really f'n full.

So, I decided to take it to Autozone.

After I swapped the coolant and oil in the Z, I threw the oil in the back and made it there to Autozone just fine (it's maybe 3 miles).

But then, on the way back home, the bolt holding the shifter to the shift linkage fell. the. fuck. out.

It's the one labelled "08010-8552A":
resource.png

It's a single point of failure in the shift linkage. It can't be too tight, or the fuckin' thing won't move. I had used Loctite red threadlocker in there, but I guess that was not enough.

So, holding the flopping shifter like a boomer holding his flaccid penis, I had a little weep.

Then realized that I was actually still in second gear.

So, I limped it hope at 6000RPM, and only had to get it going again from a slippy-slippy stop twice.

It's not as bad as when my 240Z seized in 4th gear, but it was up there.

I found all the hardware except the nut sitting on top of the heat shield over the driveshaft. I put it back together with a nyloc nut and more red threadlocker.

So.

I took the valve covers off the Nissan last weekend, because I wanted to see if, when I rebuilt the motor 12 years ago, I used OEM washers on the ARP head studs (as I should have), or the ARP washers (which are too small and eventually make the lands for the washers unusable by digging into the aluminum). When I was looking, I unbolted the heads.

Like really f'n full.

After I swapped the coolant and oil in the Z, I threw the oil in the back and made it there to Autozone just fine (it's maybe 3 miles).

But then, on the way back home, the bolt holding the shifter to the shift linkage fell. the. fuck. out.

View attachment 11851

It's a single point of failure in the shift linkage. It can't be too tight, or the fuckin' thing won't move. I had used Loctite red threadlocker in there, but I guess that was not enough.

So, holding the flopping shifter like a boomer holding his flaccid penis, I had a little weep.

So, I limped it hope at 6000RPM, and only had to get it going again from a slippy-slippy stop twice.

I found all the hardware except the nut sitting on top of the heat shield over the driveshaft. I put it back together with a nyloc nut and more red threadlocker.
My old Mazda 323 had the same "U shaped joint held by a bolt" connecting the shifter to the linkage rod.

I know this because the car ate the bushings constantly and the gearshift would get sloppy and I'd have to replace them every couple years. And yeah, nut too loose = floppy shifter, nut too tight = stiff shifter. At least it had a nylock nut from the factory.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So.

Like really f'n full.

View attachment 11851

#JehannumGRADE

• Haha
My old Mazda 323 had the same "U shaped joint held by a bolt" connecting the shifter to the linkage rod.

I know this because the car ate the bushings constantly and the gearshift would get sloppy and I'd have to replace them every couple years. And yeah, nut too loose = floppy shifter, nut too tight = stiff shifter. At least it had a nylock nut from the factory.
Yeah, these are known to eat bushings too. That's why I have bronze ones on there instead of the factory plastic (actually, the bushings are 3-piece from the factory - two plastic end pieces and a steel sleeve). Improved shift quality quite a bit.

#JehannumGRADE
It may be that my purpose in life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Yeah, these are known to eat bushings too. That's why I have bronze ones on there instead of the factory plastic (actually, the bushings are 3-piece from the factory - two plastic end pieces and a steel sleeve). Improved shift quality quite a bit.

It may be that my purpose in life is only to serve as a warning to others.

You've certainly made me think twice about buying a project or kit car.

• Haha
Got the driver side fender done on the Datsun today. 1500->2000->3000->rubbing compound->polishing compound->machine glaze->wax.

There were some nibs to take down, so I started with 1500. It feels good to get back to my normally scheduled bullshit instead of my irregular emergency bullshit.