Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Mr. Argumentor

Will Argue for Tacos
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Steam
asastang
So here's the wiring diagram for my outboard. I'm missing a fair amount of stuff for it, so I'm just going to make a portable bench starter setup.
Cutting out the choke solenoid, choke switch, and mercury switch.
I'm wondering if I should setup a fuse between the battery and solenoid. Thoughts? If so, size of the fuse?

3a6smOv.jpg

Last edited:

Jehannum

HO HO HO METH GIANT
Jul 24, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
So here's the wiring diagram for my outboard. I'm missing a fair amount of stuff for it, so I'm just going to make a portable bench starter setup.
Cutting out the choke solenoid, choke switch, and mercury switch.
I'm wondering if I should setup a fuse between the battery and solenoid. Thoughts? If so, size of the fuse?

3a6smOv.jpg
This might help, it's an amp rating vs. distance for a 6V system:
1500575017_Wiregaugechart.jpg

So, if you're going to do a maxi fuse or something in there, just size it so that it's slightly smaller than the carrying capacity of that 4 ga. wire between the battery and the solenoid.

For just a bench setup, I might skip it, as starters tend to blow fuses with the inrush current when you first engage the motor.

Mr. Argumentor

Will Argue for Tacos
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Steam
asastang
Oh yeah, since I don't want to bother with the 6V battery and such, I'm using a 12V battery. It is a mildly common trick with these, spins the starter faster but can burn it out if you do it too long. Means when I get the solenoids and such I'll have to upgrade to a later model solenoid (no biggie, but the starter and bracket are like finding hens' teeth)

I'd have to check lengths, but I don't even think I've got 10 feet of cable in this setup