Ontopic The new car-seching thread

Starting to think its time to put the truck on the back burner and get something with a bit more MPG, more sporty, and with working AC. Anyone have thoughts?
  • RWD or AWD preferred but not necessary
  • First digit of the year has to have a 2
  • Has to fit me, and at 6'1" the Answer is likely out of the running
  • Sporty-ish at a minimum
    • Probably means not too heavy, like a Dodge
  • $4000-6000 range?
  • Reliable
I love me a wagon, I also could enjoy a convertible. Maybe a BMW? certain Subarus? Volvo wagon?

I'm not a huge fan of Nissan/Infiniti, and I haven't decided on auto or manual

Track down a 2000-2006 VW Jetta wagon with the 1.8T motor, aka the "GTI wagon"

Hauls shit, hauls ass. And I'm 6'3 and I fit in one just fine, but whoever's sitting in the seat behind you won't have a good time.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Ran out of ugga duggas on a project today :(

Couple of 15/16th bolts on big passthrough bolts on the zero turn spindles that were supposed to be torqued to 75ftlbs. My impact can do 200, and I figure I can do a little more than that with the 6 foot cheater. Wouldn't even budge em. Tried kroil and heat, no dice.

I'm guessing someone cranked em on with a 500 ftlb Ingersoll or something :/.

May have to resort to "can't be tight if it's melted"

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Behold - the Air Reverser. When I worked for my brother in the 90's we did patent work. This gentleman with a wad of cash had this idea that his air reverser would make his vehicle go faster by blowing on the back. We got him his patent - that is all. *Sometimes we'd see him tooling around town in his ancient conversion van, decked out with that POS. :lol: Not sure what made me think of this, today. The ductwork I moved in the pole barn? :iono:
21024_1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: fly
Extractors are typically heat treated to the point that they are very strong, but very brittle. I've had good luck with a snap punch and just snapping it over and over again until they shatter and then I pick the pieces out or turn the part upside down and bang on the other side to get it all out.
Also, heat works, destroys the temper of the metal so you can then drill it out.

You must not drive in any traffic. Otherwise, fuck manuals.
been saying this here for years, and every time the insecure men of UF lecture me about how much more of a man I could be if I drove a manual. It's no different then those tosser audiophiles who rant on about how much better vinyl is. Shit is old ass tech. Go mow your lawn with a scythe.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
been saying this here for years, and every time the insecure men of UF lecture me about how much more of a man I could be if I drove a manual. It's no different then those tosser audiophiles who rant on about how much better vinyl is. Shit is old ass tech. Go mow your lawn with a scythe.
Or how about let people do what they fuckin' enjoy and mind your own fucking business.