Ontopic The new car-seching thread

My mommy bought a Civic in January 1974 and it was the first time I’d ever seen a Honda car, in person or anywhere for that matter. I didn’t even know they existed until she came home with one.

At the time (winter in Omaha), she was recovering from a BAD car accident and wasn’t driving much, so the car spent a lot of time in the garage with me in it.

Even to the untrained teenage eye, it was clearly a superior product as far as QC went to anything made in USA at the time. Boy, did Detroit have to wake up quick.

Our 72 Nova and 79? Chevette didn't have passenger side door mirrors. Our 81 caprice did but we bought that used from the banker uptown and it had all the nice shit in it.

It sold to someone else. You could realistically buy that car and pocket money after driving it for a year or 2. Steep appreciation on those right now.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Latest #JEHANNUMGRADE fiasco: bought two new wheel bearings for the front of the Audi, as the originals were making expensive noises at 295k miles. Went with the Napa "PROFORMER" brand, even though I should have known better and just bought OEM FAG bearings.

Because ZE GERMANS are still trying to get us back for WWII, the wheel bearing is 1) 82mm outer diameter, and 2) a semi-sealed design with 2 different inner diameters that relies on the tension of the axle bolt to pull the inner and outer races together between the outer CV axle and the hub. So, the procedure is to 1) press out the hub, 2) press out the bearing, and 3) get a bearing separator to get the outer race off the hub. Installation is to 1) press in the bearing (using the old outer shell to press on the new outer shell), 2) press in the hub (pressing against the inner shell).

Pressing out the hub: I used one of the old axle bolts, lightly modified on the bench grinder:
ist8qmn.jpg

b/c I only have a 12 ton press, I needed to make a stack to avoid squishing the upright with the press foot. So, 17mm socket, 4" extension, 24mm socket over the head of the extension. Of note, you can see the shiny outer race still on the hub.
oytv7BE.jpg

Napa PROFORMER bearings installed:
GYjk5Tl.jpg

Here's what you have to maneuver into the press for each operation (about 40 pounds of shit):
57Spdvq.jpg

Unfortunately, one of them seems to have been bad out of the box, as the driver-side bearing whines when I turn left. Ordered a genuine OEM FAG bearing to replace it, but it's a pain.

Last edited: