Ontopic The new car-seching thread

The whole fucking house still smells like that shit for some reason.
[Irishing it] imagine being "the kid" at a trans shop where you had to pull burned ones all day, then strip them and soak them in mystery goo to clean them. I did that for about 11 months. mmm, we also had the contract for the 4X4s from city dump. So you started out by digging everything from diapers to tennis shoes from around the transmissions and shit. So you could get to the bolts. :)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
[Irishing it] imagine being "the kid" at a trans shop where you had to pull burned ones all day, then strip them and soak them in mystery goo to clean them. I did that for about 11 months. mmm, we also had the contract for the 4X4s from city dump. So you started out by digging everything from diapers to tennis shoes from around the transmissions and shit. So you could get to the bolts. :)
I used to work at a oil change shop. In my case, the worst was differential fluid. That shit STUNK and the fucking smell never left.

I used to work at a oil change shop. In my case, the worst was differential fluid. That shit STUNK and the fucking smell never left.
That shit IS pretty bad. The high viscosity and that acrid aroma - cleans nicely to the cuticles. Every bite of food - smelling like diffy fluid. HAHAHA.
Quick, someone go post some food, I need to purge.:barf:

I love that smell! The age. Smells like deep earth.
That and the smoke from farm grade reddish diesel, not the shit they have now with additives, as those old engines are churning it out. It's wonderful.
As is pipe smoke, like old school pipe tobacco.

So all in, minus picking up an extra torque wrench, costs were $600 (also includes brake pads all the way around, which is next).

$275 of that was renting a car for a week cause I didn't want to take off the transmission pan. I call costs like that a retard tax. Lesson learned. :lol:

You barely loosen the bolts on one corner, remove them on the opposite corner, and back out the ones in between progressively so the pan will tilt towards the corner you removed the bolts from but still hang up there.
Not terribly complicated.
In reality the pan sticks to the block and doesn't just tilt, and you end up prying it 10 different ways trying to get it loose, being all careful not to bend the pan... then the thing suddenly lets go and the ATF comes out sideways and misses your drain pan by a foot.

Our 72 Nova was so rusted out when you turned on the gravel road going home the inside filled with huge clouds of dust. Everyone knew to roll their window down coming up to that turn.

One of my old beaters had holes in the floorboard that slush would shoot through if I had the wheel turned just right, generally hitting the passenger right in the face. It was awful.

And funny AF

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
So all in, minus picking up an extra torque wrench, costs were $600 (also includes brake pads all the way around, which is next).

$275 of that was renting a car for a week cause I didn't want to take off the transmission pan. I call costs like that a retard tax. Lesson learned. :lol:
So you actually fixed your transmission for like $50. Well done, sir.

In reality the pan sticks to the block and doesn't just tilt, and you end up prying it 10 different ways trying to get it loose, being all careful not to bend the pan... then the thing suddenly lets go and the ATF comes out sideways and misses your drain pan by a foot.
It doesn't miss my drain pan by a foot, it misses your drain pan by a foot.
Of course it sticks. Do the bolt thing right and it can only come down one way, that being directly into your properly placed drain pan.
Come on you guys are engineers and scientists and shit, why is this simple task kicking your ass so?

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
It doesn't miss my drain pan by a foot, it misses your drain pan by a foot.
Of course it sticks. Do the bolt thing right and it can only come down one way, that being directly into your properly placed drain pan.
Come on you guys are engineers and scientists and shit, why is this simple task kicking your ass so?
Because I don't have a lift, let alone one of those fancy telescopic drain pans that rolls underneath that you can raise up so it's just under the lip of the pan.

I'm barely fitting under a shitty car that's held up on the smallest shittiest $20 pair of jackstands, beside a shitty/tiny oil drain pain that I'm using to catch the ATF from the transmission pan that's a foot and a half above... and cursing myself for offering to help a friend out vs having them spend the extra $20-$30 to have a garage do that shit.

As an engineer, I don't buy cars with autotragic transmissions on purpose.

The one I do have gets serviced by someone else who has a big ol' drain pan that will take the entire thing when it inevitably falls off the wrong way.

Because I don't have a lift, let alone one of those fancy telescopic drain pans that rolls underneath that you can raise up so it's just under the lip of the pan.

I'm barely fitting under a shitty car that's held up on the smallest shittiest $20 pair of jackstands, beside a shitty/tiny oil drain pain that I'm using to catch the ATF from the transmission pan that's a foot and a half above... and cursing myself for offering to help a friend out vs having them spend the extra $20-$30 to have a garage do that shit.
How the hell do you think I do it? I don't have any of that fancy shit either. I do it the same way you do, except with pieces of plywood under shit I don't want to sink in the gravel and dirt.
Procedure is the same whether the car is 6ft. off the ground and the pan 4-1/2 or the car 1-1/2 and the pan zero.

I actually find it easier to lay on my back and work on shit with use of more different muscle groups than stand under a car and put all the work on the shoulders.