Ontopic The moral dilemma of self-driving cars

I would sacrifice myself for the greater good. What kind of cunt wouldn't?

That being said, fuck driverless cars. I love driving.

Fuck cars with drivers
Kjk3edq.jpg
?

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
thats bad robot logic.

The car needs to protect its occupants above all else. If all cars do this, risk will balance out.

true but it'll be a while before all the cars are autonomous leading to a long period where the AVs will need to compensate for the actions of other drivers

I think it can be extended to not include the occupant's death as a variable.

AV1 is driving down the road and notices a regular car swerving into its lane. The AV can calculate that its occupant will be perfectly safe given the speed and other variables. But it doesn't know the variables of the other car and it might kill that driver. Or it can swerve toward the sidewalk and kill a pedestrian.

The AV occupant is going to be fine either way but meow the computer is making a decision whether to actively avoid a wreck and kill a pedestrian or risk killing the driver and have a 10% chance of simply injuring its own occupant.

true but it'll be a while before all the cars are autonomous leading to a long period where the AVs will need to compensate for the actions of other drivers

I think it can be extended to not include the occupant's death as a variable.

AV1 is driving down the road and notices a regular car swerving into its lane. The AV can calculate that its occupant will be perfectly safe given the speed and other variables. But it doesn't know the variables of the other car and it might kill that driver. Or it can swerve toward the sidewalk and kill a pedestrian.

The AV occupant is going to be fine either way but meow the computer is making a decision whether to actively avoid a wreck and kill a pedestrian or risk killing the driver and have a 10% chance of simply injuring its own occupant.

cars should never leave the road. gotta have something like the 3 laws of car robotics

1) dont leave the road, pedestrians are sacred
2) damage to the car is not a factor in computation
3) passenger safety is paramount.

Name a scenario where following those rules doesnt lead to the best outcome for everyone

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
cars should never leave the road. gotta have something like the 3 laws of car robotics

1) dont leave the road, pedestrians are sacred
2) damage to the car is not a factor in computation
3) passenger safety is paramount.

Name a scenario where following those rules doesnt lead to the best outcome for everyone

You know pedestrians cross roads sometimes, right? :p

You know pedestrians cross roads sometimes, right? :p

then theyre fair game. Attempt to avoid, do not leave road if pedestrians are present, leave road if pedestrians are not and is necessary.

Just like the three laws, sometimes one law supercedes another.

then theyre fair game. Attempt to avoid, do not leave road if pedestrians are present, leave road if pedestrians are not and is necessary.

Just like the three laws, sometimes one law supercedes another.

no doubt, the issue is making these ideas specific enough for a computer to make its decisions yet still broadly applicable

I'm sure the people working on AVs have something like the three laws in mind (even though the concept of the three laws was...not very scientific in the first place).

I think we can still devise scenarios where things can go wrong but eventually there will be situations where a computer has to decide which life is more important. If we have AVs that prioritize occupants over pedestrians a lot of people may not want them on the road.

I would sacrifice myself for the greater good. What kind of cunt wouldn't?

That being said, fuck driverless cars. I love driving.

Good for you because outside of maybe saving my family I don't think I would anymore. Knowing that this is my only time around and there's most likely nothing after, killing myself to save some other people I don't know doesn't compute with me. Especially given that most of them probably wouldn't do it to save me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots