Ontopic The last True Hermit

I read all pages & comments of this article. I feel like, sad & empty. What makes someone just walk away & even during the coldest of nights, he never contemplated returning? I just don't know how a human goes from 20 yrs of normal contact with fellow humans to adopting 100% of a different life & sticking to it.
I feel that there's something more to it. Like maybe he was abused in some terrible way. You don't just wake up with a dissociative personality.
Yeah, that was the thing that struck me too. He couldn't explain why he did it. He claimed he didn't know. He said he had good parents and all that and had a relationship with his brothers and sisters although he did say he didn't have friends and didn't like being around people. But moving out to the middle of the woods because you're anti-social is a little extreme. I can't imagine how this guy will ever adjust back to the real world, he couldn't handle the real world 26 years ago.

I read all pages & comments of this article. I feel like, sad & empty. What makes someone just walk away & even during the coldest of nights, he never contemplated returning? I just don't know how a human goes from 20 yrs of normal contact with fellow humans to adopting 100% of a different life & sticking to it.
I feel that there's something more to it. Like maybe he was abused in some terrible way. You don't just wake up with a dissociative personality.
Mentioned that he might've had Aspergers. Depending on if that is true, and how bad it might've been, with the level of treatment available at that point in time... I could see it.

You moved to Perth. That's close to becoming cut off from the world.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
My friend's property abuts the hermit's former encampment in the woods. He said the hermit never stole anything from his place. I've also met the State Trooper who arrested the guy. She lives probably 5mi-10mi from his encampment. I liked how the guy had particular taste in beer and thus would only steal certain brands.

Anyway, I think this guy will probably slip back into the woods again. Mental health system in this state is almost non-existent if you cannot afford it.

I'd love to remove myself from society. Get away from all the bullshit.

I've always wanted to homestead out in the middle of absolute nowhere. God I'd love it.
Can't recommend it. One of my friends was a dog trainer for the longest time, then got sick of dealing with people daily. So he sold his house and bought a farm.

He's been at it for a few years, farming pigs/ducks/chickens on a small scale and selling organic meat to hipsters. Making fuck all doing hard work. And the isolation sucks, a storm a couple months ago knocked out his power for 6 days, and he recently beat the oil pan out of his car on the 30km dirt road going to his farm.

Farm's up for sale again.

Can't recommend it. One of my friends was a dog trainer for the longest time, then got sick of dealing with people daily. So he sold his house and bought a farm.

He's been at it for a few years, farming pigs/ducks/chickens on a small scale and selling organic meat to hipsters. Making fuck all doing hard work. And the isolation sucks, a storm a couple months ago knocked out his power for 6 days, and he recently beat the oil pan out of his car on the 30km dirt road going to his farm.

Farm's up for sale again.
I'm talking no electricity. No farming. Just living in a self built log cabin, and hunting for food. Not accessible by vehicle. Days and days away from the nearest town.

I have no idea what it would be like, but the idea is very appealing to me.

They say he went out into the wilderness with bugger all equipment. I'd probably do a few years of survival training or research before attempting. Not grab a bag of random stuff and go walk about. That's crazy.
He had a gun, rice, and some books on plants iirc

surviving for 4 months being as dumb as that actually isnt bad.
I never saw the movie but I remember seeing the story about this on 48 Hours or something. The guy was completely unprepared to try something like this. Early on he shot a moose which could have given him food for a year and the thing completed rotted away because he had no idea how to preserve the meat. Sad he died but also dumb on his part at the same time.

I never saw the movie but I remember seeing the story about this on 48 Hours or something. The guy was completely unprepared to try something like this. Early on he shot a moose which could have given him food for a year and the thing completed rotted away because he had no idea how to preserve the meat. Sad he died but also dumb on his part at the same time.
I read the book when I used to work at a bookstore. It was because wild game is lean and doesnt actually provide many calories so you can eat a lot of it and still not be getting enough food.

Yeah the soundtrack was cool. the movie pissed me off though. I guy i went with was crying at how sad it was which made me more ragey at how stupid he was. I did not feel bad for that guy for even one second.

Also I may be overreacting and being a bitch.
It sounds like you took it as a personal insult :p

When I read the book I just couldn't get over how spoiled he was.