Ontopic The last True Hermit

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,239
Steam
asastang
What a strange story.
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201409/the-last-true-hermit

He said he lived in the woods.

"For how long?" wondered Perkins-Vance.

Knight thought for a bit, then asked when the Chernobyl nuclear-plant disaster occurred. He had long ago lost the habit of marking time in months or years; this was just a news event he happened to remember. The nuclear meltdown took place in 1986, the same year, Knight said, he went to live in the woods. He was 20 years old at the time, not long out of high school. He was now 47, a middle-aged man.

Knight stated that over all those years he slept only in a tent. He never lit a fire, for fear that smoke would give his camp away. He moved strictly at night. He said he didn't know if his parents were alive or dead. He'd not made one phone call or driven in a car or spent any money. He had never in his life sent an e-mail or even seen the Internet.

I literally cannot imagine the culture shock this guy is in for.

By the terms of his release, he has to go back to society. If he goes back to the woods and gets caught again he'll end up being locked up for 7 years, and he almost didn't make the 7 months in jail while his trial took place.

Wow that is insane. Then again I would think that he has to be at least a little bit crazy to live like that for so long.

they should leave the dude alone and let him do his thing. Making him check in every monday might as well be jail for him.

He's gotta quit stealing though

He said that out in the wild he felt sane, but all the noise and activity in jail drove him close to it
Yeah as I said a little not all together there.

I really only have issues with him stealing. Sounds like he'd be a good kind of guy to work on your land for you though if you'd just leave him be. Still very creepy how he went about it all though.

I'd love to remove myself from society. Get away from all the bullshit.

I've always wanted to homestead out in the middle of absolute nowhere. God I'd love it.

I read all pages & comments of this article. I feel like, sad & empty. What makes someone just walk away & even during the coldest of nights, he never contemplated returning? I just don't know how a human goes from 20 yrs of normal contact with fellow humans to adopting 100% of a different life & sticking to it.
I feel that there's something more to it. Like maybe he was abused in some terrible way. You don't just wake up with a dissociative personality.