The Kung-Fu/Samurai lover thread

You rattle off that list and leave off Musa the Warrior, House of Flying Daggers, Ong-Bak, and Curse of the Golden Flower? Really? For shame.

And what's wrong with you Gina? Wireworks are fucking awesome.

Also anything by Stephen Chow is fucking rad. God of Cookery has to be one of the weirdest films ever made.

Actually I haven't seen any of the ones you listed (except Ong Bak, which everyone has seen), I'll have to see if they're at the "video store".

I haven't seen Stephen Chow's new film, CJ7 or whatever it is, supposedly it's not as good as Kung Fu Hustle.

I never saw Sympathy for Mr. Vengence, but I saw Sympathy for Lady Vengence in the special fade to black and white edition. That was violent, but not nearly as raw or brutal as Oldboy.

yeah none of them are anywhere near as good as oldboy, which is just beautiful. mr. vengeance was good in a kind of artistic way.

I like old school cheesy kung fu movies with bad dubs that they use to show on USA Kung fu Theatre Sundays.

My favorite is still Return of the Master Killer (also know as Return to the 36th Chamber).

"The workers of a dye factory have their pay cut by 20% when the factory owner brings in some Manchu thugs to try and increase production. Desperate to reclaim their full wages, the workers hire an actor to impersonate a priest and kung-fu expert from the temple of Shaolin. The factory owner proves the actor a fraud, and punishes all those involved. The young actor feels he has let the workers down, and promises to atone. He sets out for Shaolin, determined to be accepted as a kung-fu pupil at the elite temple."

He ends up not being allowed to join but is allowed to be a handyman/janitor at the temple and spends all day copying the kungfu he watches while doing his chores. He becomes a badass fighter with a lot of his own style and doesn't even realize at first.

I can't believe I haven't seen Kung Fu hustle or Shaolin Soccer on here. Those are awesome and funny.

Last edited:
Shaw Brothers movies. :)

Shaw Brothers did some great movies.

I saw a documentary on the real Shaolin last year an those guys are amazing. They've practiced certain moves in the same places in the temple for so many centuries that they have worn down the stone floors. Some of the stuff they showed them doing was just so impressive.