Advice The 'I Can't Hear You Because Of My Awesome Headphones' thread

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,363
So, there is a metric fuckton of construction at my office, and I'm right on the Maginot line in regards to where the construction begins, which means my office is noisy as fuck every god damned day. All the sounds of commercial construction, donated to my airspace, daily.

So I'm looking for a really good set of noise cancelling headphones. Doesn't need to be wireless, per se, I'm fine with wired.

Right now, my research shows the Bose Quiet Comfort as having high marks in this field 3 years running. I'd be sold on that except the $300 price tag, for headphones. Well, I used to laugh at fools who paid 200 for early school Beats. Now I'm looking to be that fool.

However, I'm opening it up for discussion in case anyone has had some experience with some other examples that aren't the cost of a Dinner for 2 at Berns with a good bottle of wine or two and deserts.

Noise cancelling is priority. I really don't want to listen to construction guys standing basically 10 feet from me doing construction guy talk while sharing a smoke under the glaring light of their arc welder as they pop a cap on the sprinkler system and flood my office (true story from 2 weeks ago).

And since I'm mostly going to be playing new agey hippy sound stream stuff to help me alleviate my ADD, the quality isn't the priority as much as the audible isolation is. That being said, canceling the ambient noise of my environment to just replace with really shitty sounding music isn't exactly an optimal tradeoff either.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
maxresdefault.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Head-fi, the universally snobby-ish place on the net for headphones recommends the Sony MDR-1000X wireless

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Thus, this thread.

I'm trying to find that good $150ish option that cancels noise as good as the Bose is rated for.

ehh, noise cancelling may be the exception. Theres a lot of circuitry there for active noise cancelling that just costs $'s no matter who makes it.

You could go closed-can headphones instead. Just block all sound with physical isolation rather than cancelling waveforms.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
theyre not as terrible as people make them out to be. Its not the best sound quality (lotsa bass), but its not terrible either. Manufacturing quality is high.

But you pay a 150% premium for the name. There are comparable products for 1/2 or less
I've had my booger hooks in the guts of a lot of 901s that put the lie to that "Manufacturing Quality".

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
So, there is a metric fuckton of construction at my office, and I'm right on the Maginot line in regards to where the construction begins, which means my office is noisy as fuck every god damned day. All the sounds of commercial construction, donated to my airspace, daily.

So I'm looking for a really good set of noise cancelling headphones. Doesn't need to be wireless, per se, I'm fine with wired.

Right now, my research shows the Bose Quiet Comfort as having high marks in this field 3 years running. I'd be sold on that except the $300 price tag, for headphones. Well, I used to laugh at fools who paid 200 for early school Beats. Now I'm looking to be that fool.

However, I'm opening it up for discussion in case anyone has had some experience with some other examples that aren't the cost of a Dinner for 2 at Berns with a good bottle of wine or two and deserts.
I have the Bose wireless myself and love them.
QC35's are good, i use them on all the flights. There's a similar pair made by sennheiser, avoid because of the touch surface control. same with a brand called parrot, the oppos are too expensive. Consider these too, psb
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/headphones/M4U-2-Headphones

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and Duke
If you really want to go all out then get a custom moulded pair from westone or etymotic research.

I just want something to let me tame my ADD in an ever increasingly distracting work environment. I doubt I'll go the millennial route for an artisan solution.

I just want something to let me tame my ADD in an ever increasingly distracting work environment. I doubt I'll go the millennial route for an artisan solution.
Ya it's a bit much, the drummer/bassist UE11's cost 1150usd lolol
I'd suggest the qc35's or the in ear options, qc30's. The PSB's are double the weight.

• Gravy
Reactions: Duke