The hours you keep and your productivity level.

D

djduquet

I used to be the most productive during the day. I would have all of my class from 8 until about 1. I would then go to the library and work. Once the sun set, I would relax go to bed and start it all over. However, in the last year or so I've noticed that my paterns of sleep and productivity have changed a lot.

Now I do my best work once the sun sets. I keep the hours of a vampire. My classes have been set up later and later. For example. I'm in front of my building right now on my laptop enjoying a smoke and making this thread. I just got back from the computer lab putting the finishing touches on a research proposal that I'm going to turn in tomorrow morning (about 4 hours from now). My how I've changed. Once the sun goes down, then I go to the library. The postive is that I don't watch TV anymore.

So my question is to you, how have your hours changed over time? What did you progress from? When was your best productivty compared to now? I'm just a little curious as to how you guys have had to alter your lifes on how and when you feel like you do your best work.

Now I understand that you have jobs, don't we all, and there are hours when you have to be on. So if that's the case, talk about it, but also think mostly about what you do when you go home. Your hobbies and what not, when do you do your best work?

Too bad I can't make this into a poll.

My productivity hours are chained to my job. And I wouldn't exactly call them productive. :fly: I also try to get about 8 hours of sleep a night.

I'm a night person and most productive 10pm-4am but work wants me here during the day so I force myself to be prductive during the day instead.

What time do you go to bed fly?

I work 8-5, because They tell me to. I'm also a night owl, so staying up until 2 a.m. is easy for me. However, getting up at 6 after 4 hours of sleep is not, so by Wednesday I'm completely exhausted and go to bed at 9, usually, to catch back up. Then Thursday night it's back to staying up too late. It's a strange cycle, but I love to be up at night for some reason. Always have.

I'm at my absolute most productive when I'm under pressure to get something done or have a deadline, regardless of what time it is.

shawndavid said:
I get up between 8 and 9, go through my routine of school, work, homework, etc, then into bed around 9:30-10pm, but watch TV until 12:30 or so.

Last night we were shopping for house stuff and ended up decorating until 12:30am or so.
You should do a 'pics of house' thread. That doesn't seem like it would be lockable. :fly:

b_sinning said:
I'm a night person and most productive 10pm-4am but work wants me here during the day so I force myself to be prductive during the day instead.

What time do you go to bed fly?
Usually around 10. Although the last couple of days, I've had some crazy insomnia/paranoia so its been later...

i wake up at 6:45am, and my brain wakes up around 9am now. by 10 at night if i'm not already alseep i'm on my way up to bed. man i feel old, or my job is taking its toll on me :(

I work from 8:30 to 5:00 and I have rehearsals every night of the week from 7:00-10:00. I've always been I night person, so even after all of that I'm still up till ~1:00. I've always been my most productive in the late night/early morning.

Bubbles said:
I work from 8:30 to 5:00 and I have rehearsals every night of the week from 7:00-10:00. I've always been I night person, so even after all of that I'm still up till ~1:00. I've always been my most productive in the late night/early morning.

Rehearsals for what?

I find that to stay productive I need to vary my schedule on a fairly regular basis. That or not get to where I hate what I'm doing.

In general, though, I prefer getting up early. I slept late today, and it is annoying the hell out of me. :( Oddly, it seems that drinking (not just alcohol, but anything) greatly reduces the amount of sleep I need. I think it may be time to invest in another brita for home.