Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I posted calculations, that doesn't mean anything to you.
I posted personal experience, that doesn't mean anything to you.

About the only thing that means anything to you is that you have to hold the exact opposite position to me on any issue, for some undefined reason (maybe I peed on your mom or something, I dunno).

So yeah, I'm the one who hasn't a leg to stand on. The only one who provided a single shred of math to support my position other than "yeah, just go stick yer booger hooks on the studs at the homer depot and buy the good ones".

You're not the only person here wth personal experience. ;)

Yeah, that span unsupported at the top will lead to issues.
@fly you already have a bookshelf on the backside of where the wall will be? Get rid of it. Build the regular depth wall, then add the bookshelf to the wall and build it into the wall. The added depth of the wall will support it

@fly you already have a bookshelf on the backside of where the wall will be? Get rid of it. Build the regular depth wall, then add the bookshelf to the wall and build it into the wall. The added depth of the wall will support it

All the arguing parties gravied this.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
building_a_wall_frame.gif

how is that going to sag? Its held up every 16 inches by a stud.

In order for it to sag, one of two things would have to happen. Either the bottom plate has to move downwards (unlikely on a slab), or the studs themselves have to bow vertically.
I didn't say sag. Wouldn't that be horizontal deflection? My concern is someone running into the freestanding part of the wall and cracking any of the tape joints along the way. The higher up you hit on the wall, the more of a lever you get. Am I wrong?