Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

What's is doing for you? I have something similar planned for ours.
Just contact sensors, so I know when doors/windows open and close. More just a reason to start learning how these things work, but I'll probably at least set it to turn on the front light when I open the front door.

Next up is automating the garage door with one of the smaller ones.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Just contact sensors, so I know when doors/windows open and close. More just a reason to start learning how these things work, but I'll probably at least set it to turn on the front light when I open the front door.

Next up is automating the garage door with one of the smaller ones.
So my IoT chip needs USB power. I didn't have a outlet very close to the alarm panel, but it does have a 12v line to charge the battery backup. So I repurposed a micro USB car charger and now the whole thing is in the box. woot woot

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Ordered the Aeon USB Z wave stick, a couple lamp modules, and a couple switches. The actual lamps we use will be turned on with one switch in a few days (instead of walking around to the kitchen and behind the couch).

Ordered the Aeon USB Z wave stick, a couple lamp modules, and a couple switches. The actual lamps we use will be turned on with one switch in a few days (instead of walking around to the kitchen and behind the couch).
Thank you for reminding me that I need to take that off my wishlist. ;)

Thank you for reminding me that I need to take that off my wishlist. ;)
I'm lazy, so instead of parsing the thread for your tidbits of wisdom, I'll just ask what you use.

I'm going with openhab because 1) free (and this is an area I could see contributing code back in) and 2) not cloud.

I'm lazy, so instead of parsing the thread for your tidbits of wisdom, I'll just ask what you use.

I'm going with openhab because 1) free (and this is an area I could see contributing code back in) and 2) not cloud.
Yeah, I remembered you saying that you didn't want cloud. I'm willing to sacrifice that for ease of use, so I'm using SmartThings.

edit: But I had both on my wishlist at one point.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
i was originally looking at the aeon usb zwave stick, mainly because i already had a bunch of zwave devices. i put it off long enough though that eventually smartthings popped up, which was more ideal for me since i turn my comp off when i'm on vacation.

it should work out fine.

i was originally looking at the aeon usb zwave stick, mainly because i already had a bunch of zwave devices. i put it off long enough though that eventually smartthings popped up, which was more ideal for me since i turn my comp off when i'm on vacation.

it should work out fine.
I've got an i3 that's on 24/7 serving up delicious network juice, so that's what'll be running mine.

• Gravy
Reactions: plot

it should work out fine.
ST also has a huge user community, a fantastically simply programming language, and zigbee support (for devices you might want to buy later). However, it does suck that it requires cloud.

ST also has a huge user community, a fantastically simply programming language, and zigbee support (for devices you might want to buy later). However, it does suck that it requires cloud.

you're back to not hating groovy?