Ontopic The Home Improvement thread

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,350
So, I need some opinions. After suffering from a long bout of painters block, I think I found the colors I'm going to use. Home depot is having thier labor day paint sale, so savings abound if I move on it now.

Here's the colors. Apple Crisp for the accent wall (main wall), and wild bamboo for the other walls.

Thoughts?

living_room292.jpg

There's not much contrast, I love the apple crisp, but thing you need a less yellow for the rest of the walls.

I like the apple crisp, but I think the bamboo is kinda drab. I guess it depends on the room. If it doesn't have a lot of natural light I think it's going to look dark and dull. Otherwise it will probably look very clean and masculine, which is probably good for you.

There's not much contrast, I love the apple crisp, but thing you need a less yellow for the rest of the walls.

yeah. I'm getting the samples tonight to throw on the walls to see how it works. Going to go for the bamboo, and something more sand. Friend of mine is saying that I the contrast will be handled with

ugh

window treatments.

women :facepalm:

look into a light to medium gray color, it's the new beige apparently.

I'm going to be doing the medium grey for my upstairs office, so that's out for the downstairs.

yeah. I'm getting the samples tonight to throw on the walls to see how it works. Going to go for the bamboo, and something more sand. Friend of mine is saying that I the contrast will be handled with

ugh

window treatments.

women :facepalm:

I'm going to be doing the medium grey for my upstairs office, so that's out for the downstairs.

The problem is, there isn't enough difference for it to be an accent wall, it's almost just like you ran out of bamboo and thought, eh, this other one is close enough, it doesn't STAND out like I would want it to.

I think the main wall is a bit too orange tint, as well.

I do like the bamboo all around, though, instead of just on one wall.

The apple crisp would work if you had stark white crown moulding, I think.

well, the other option being presented to me involves a lot more orange on the main wall

I liked how it looked, but not sure I'm ready for an orange wall

The crown moulding is phase 3, after painting, and then reflooring the upstairs office.

Obviously (this is to duke, not you db), this is all subject to opinion, I LOVE the apple crisp, but then I'm a huge fan of bold colors. By the time I'm done, there aren't going to be many neutrals left in my house.

well, the other option being presented to me involves a lot more orange on the main wall

I liked how it looked, but not sure I'm ready for an orange wall

A subtle orange like that apple crisp is fine I think. But I agree with kiwi, I would just make the whole room that color. It is an interesting color and with crown moulding will have enough things to move the eyes around that you don't need multople colors.

Moving day. Closing one of my Brandon offices and moving into some new hotness closer to downtown. Back to check on this thread later.

Home depot has a cool tool for paint matching and such. If anyone gets a little gumption and wants to try some options and post them here, that would be awesome. Copy pasta into paint or paint.net will make it postable here.

Duke, if you are going to do stark white crown moulding (which I highly recommend), a strong contrasting color would be very appropriate. Like a darker brown or a brighter blue than you would otherwise paint the walls. In this case, a louder version of that apple crisp would be appropriate. I would, however, paint the whole room that color.

go with a tamer color if you have artwork you want to show off.