Ontopic The Home Improvement thread

Here's my living room/dining room:

attachment.php

I want to paint the two small walls marked with an 'x' in a different color. This room is too yellow. I like the yellow because it is sunny, but I think it needs something to break it up. I was thinking orange. What do you all think?

What about a slate green, and then add some hanging potted plants (non flowering) from the roof in front of those walls to give it an arboreal feel?

Or you can decorate a bit like bringing on some plant life from the "porch" into the living room, thereby tying the living room off to that corner, then similar furniture colors for the dining room and kitchen bar area, thereby tying those areas together. That would break up the area a bit.

Could you not break it up with furniture/floor pieces? Like a large floor piece different for each section? Or wall treatment like a faux finish or stripping so there is enough breaking up already that it won't look like "separate, but equal" rooms?

Well, the way the furniture lays out (and where my cable/network drops are), breaking it up would kind of ruin the flow. There's a big double french door that opens out from the living room to the lanai, and having it open all the way to the dining room gives it a good feel.

I've tried to visualize breaking up the back wall in some way, but just can't see it in my head right now. This has been the main issue blocking my design right now, and the concept of turning that back wall into the accent wall, and the other walls being separate colors is the best solution I've gotten so far. Being a visual guy, though, if another idea in photo form were shown to me, it would probably help me get a handle on it.

Well, the way the furniture lays out (and where my cable/network drops are), breaking it up would kind of ruin the flow. There's a big double french door that opens out from the living room to the lanai, and having it open all the way to the dining room gives it a good feel.

I've tried to visualize breaking up the back wall in some way, but just can't see it in my head right now. This has been the main issue blocking my design right now, and the concept of turning that back wall into the accent wall, and the other walls being separate colors is the best solution I've gotten so far. Being a visual guy, though, if another idea in photo form were shown to me, it would probably scotch me get a handle on it.

with such a large wall, what about two pieces of larger art, one on one side, one on the other? Maybe sure they are kind of different?

Then color the side walls a color from that piece to tie it in. Have a nice accent color to the art for the main wall.

I do have 1 5' x 6' piece on the wall in the dining room, but the entertainment center covers up side where a different piece would go. When I get home, I'll take some pix of the place as it is right now to help visualize.

Ahh ok. Well my awesomeness idea won't work. I was thinking on that north wall with teh doors to the lanai (porch) to paint it a nice green, maybe even hunter green, to bring indoors the outside. Then in that large wall, have a greenish or floral or outdoor art piece. That large wall could be done with alternating lighter and darker blue striping, not in any particular patterns. Then on the other side close to the kitchen, another piece of art with a redish hue and have a nice dark vivid red on that small wall that's opposite of the lanai. Dark wood dining room table to tie it together.

Or just one piece of art, more centered on the dining room area. that would work, too.

I'm going to be repainting most of our great room in a few months since we are redoing our kitchen.

Going from blue walls to ...... pink!

Jk. .. something that will go with our cabinets once we decide on a color for those.

I'm going to be repainting most of our great room in a few months since we are redoing our kitchen.

Jk. .. something that will go with our cabinets once we decide on a color for those.

Go for black to match your soul

:fly:

:heart:

not even funny, my entire house was pink when we bought it

Don't remember what the second color is, but how about a nice brown?

room1.png

Or, do the apple crisp as your main color and accent with a blue (this one is twilight charm)

room2.png

Damnit, Websense is filtering all the images ITT now. My Denver IT guys are running a bit amok with security lately. I'll have to look at the color suggestions tonight. However, I have one issue with blue to go with the orange.

That issue being

fuck the gators

(sorry Shali) :fly:

Damnit, Websense is filtering all the images ITT now. My Denver IT guys are running a bit amok with security lately. I'll have to look at the color suggestions tonight. However, I have one issue with blue to go with the orange.

That issue being

fuck the gators

(sorry Shali) :fly:

It has nothing to do with gators, its just that orange and blue are complimentary colors and look amazing together.