Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

All our outlets are old. Some of them aren't even GFCI. So I'll be replacing them. Is it worth adding an AFCI? I assume like GFCI, they protect everything downstream. Is there some easy way to determine the outlet closest to the breaker, or do I just have to dig everything out and map it out?
No, don't put in an AFCI breaker. They're hot garbage.

All our outlets are old. Some of them aren't even GFCI. So I'll be replacing them. Is it worth adding an AFCI? I assume like GFCI, they protect everything downstream. Is there some easy way to determine the outlet closest to the breaker, or do I just have to dig everything out and map it out?
You just need them on the first receptacle in the branch or you can change the breakers.

They are essentially gfcis but for arcs instead of ground. If you go breakers don't get carried away and put them in lighting branches cause they'll trip constantly.

You just need them on the first receptacle in the branch or you can change the breakers.

They are essentially gfcis but for arcs instead of ground. If you go breakers don't get carried away and put them in lighting branches cause they'll trip constantly.
You literally repeated what I said. What drugs are they giving you?

Why does it matter that all your outlets aren't GFCI?

Only some need o be by code.

AFCI is not worth it, they'll nuisance trip if there are wiring issues. Even with the newer AFCI's it's a problem.
It doesn't matter. But they are old and some of them are even yellowing. We're refreshing the house, so there's no reason not to redo the outlets too.

Thanks for the tips on AFCI guys.

It doesn't matter. But they are old and some of them are even yellowing. We're refreshing the house, so there's no reason not to redo the outlets too.

Thanks for the tips on AFCI guys.

Use these, they have light switches too.

Basically a Wago Lever-Nut for the connection. Not a back-stab.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Use these, they have light switches too.

Basically a Wago Lever-Nut for the connection. Not a back-stab.
Oh that's awesome. Wagos! Awesome and such a great way to troll the greybeards.