Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Today I’m glad I’m not a homeowner. We just discovered that whenever the sprinkler systems go, there’s a puddle of water on my dining room floor.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Today I’m glad I’m not a homeowner. We just discovered that whenever the sprinkler systems go, there’s a puddle of water on my dining room floor.
i just realized you were talking about yard sprinklers, not in house fire sprinklers.

I was like... what, of course there is, thats the whole point.

• Haha
Reactions: Josh
someone did some creative plumbing and ran one of your spigot lines through the ceiling to get to wherever the sprinkler valve box is.

Finally got all the new ceilings painted. 2 coats, white glidden ceiling paint. That shit is fucking tedious.

About half-way through with changing wall colors. @AppleTurkey picked a color that's a little too close to white, so I think we're going to put an accent color on the west wall (contiguous between family room and dining room, doesn't have any 270° corners, only 90s).

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
It’s coming through the foundation. Ceiling is also dry.
Well that sounds like an expensive thing to figure out.

They'll have to cut the slab up and dig.

If it were me, I'd just trench a new line to the sprinkler system, and abandon the old one. That's what I did for my back yard at the current house. Wasn't actually that expensive, just about a hundo to rent a trencher, then a few days of yard diggin'.

If it were me, I'd just trench a new line to the sprinkler system, and abandon the old one. That's what I did for my back yard at the current house. Wasn't actually that expensive, just about a hundo to rent a trencher, then a few days of yard diggin'.
not like she has to worry about a freeze line

Got one of these:

5e58467707af5b12552c4402_5.jpg

Its actually damn good. Heats up to temp in like 35 seconds, completely portable, and the temp dial appears to be accurate within 20 degrees. I put some hash marks just at even spacing between 400-900 and it can hold a temp, even with a heavy heat sink really solidly.

Ive never had a nice temp controlled iron at home, but ive used plenty of 300 buck digital hakko's at work, and from a feel perspective, this feels like the hakko in terms of performance.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and fly

Figured they could dig under the slab.
They can here, but the ground here is sand & clay and wet
no idea if that would work in the desert

Figured they could dig under the slab.
They can here, but the ground here is sand & clay and wet
no idea if that would work in the desert
The only time I've seen it done here is when they're installing piers to stabilize a subsiding foundation.

Even that's done minimally - the hole's put in the slab, the pier sunk in hydraulically, and then the void is pumped full of an expanding hydraulic foam that's supposed to lock everything up around it like concrete, but pumpable through a much smaller orifice.