Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

I bet I could build a really badass pack by hitting up a vape shop for a bunch of INR's and throwing those in. And end up with a $150 CAD pack that's about as good as a genuine Dewalt pack is, for about the same money.

18650's were free, salvaged from old shit. Took me a couple days to capacity test and charge enough batteries but that was "put shit in battery charger, press buttons, walk away" effort. And assembling the pack was <1hr and I got to play with a battery spot welder. Fuck it.

Ahh ok. I was about to say that 18650s are everywhere for so little money.

Too bad the gate and the right side still look like shit.

74TRVNP.jpg

4TispJW.jpg

inven6q.jpg

Qbf3PWm.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I've called 5 paving contractors to get the rest of my driveway paid. Only 1 came out for an estimate, 1 other said to text details and they'd come out for a quote. 3 others haven't returned my calls.

• Sad
I've called 5 paving contractors to get the rest of my driveway paid. Only 1 came out for an estimate, 1 other said to text details and they'd come out for a quote. 3 others haven't returned my calls.
Some of them might have taken last week off due to spring/Easter break. Asphalt?

Could be zoning thing. Or, if it's anything like here, certain contractors get special treatment when it comes to permits and such for certain areas. It's all a bunch of crooked shit around here.
Sorry, Josh. I was venting.
Hope it looks marvelous when you're finished.

Around here, some contractors don't call you back for smaller jobs because they know it's not worth the hassle of dealing with the township. Especially for anything outside.

• Gravy
115ft more of the driveway to be paved. Plus I want a 2 car parking spot paved near the garage. Yeah kind of small job. Asphalt plants haven't opened yet, probably beginning of May maybe later, depends on weather. Most rural roads (like mine) are posted for vehicle weight limits to keep from damaging them due to frost/freeze retreating. Also it's Maine. There are few if any building codes. Most deal with septic and lakeshore frontage.

• Gravy
I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but here, if your shed has a foundation, even a concrete pad under it, it's considered a building and they want taxes and permits paid on it.
I don’t have one but I've heard enough complaints about it.

I'm not sure how it is elsewhere, but here, if your shed has a foundation, even a concrete pad under it, it's considered a building and they want taxes and permits paid on it.
I don’t have one but I've heard enough complaints about it.
Mostly true here, but it's up to the assessor to catch you or your neighbors to rat you out. Same with building permits. I believe the town that I live in assesses 1/4 of the property each year.

Mostly true here, but it's up to the assessor to catch you or your neighbors to rat you out. Same with building permits. I believe the town that I live in assesses
I have very similar deal
Nobody rats. We all have secret improvements. Fuck a permit for a driveway, they already approved one there.

I’m unable to do anything, you guys know that.

One evening, the exhaust fan in my bathroom suddenly ran slower, then POP, seized, and smelled like burnt motor. That had me vigilant for the night. Old mobile homes like this shitbox like to burn down from that stuff.

My fans aren’t easily located and replaced. There is no drop in replacement at HD. I managed to find replacement(s) online that looked like they’d practically be a direct swap, or I could swap the motor... then I found out I can’t even remove the existing junk. Physically, I can’t do it.

So I used Craigslist and found a handyman. I’d been eyeing the listings for awhile and had a few tagged to call. Lined up a time for a guy to swing by (a father and son outfit). The dad showed up. His English was lacking somewhat, but we understood each other enough. He said they could do it, I showed him the fan online, he said order them and when they arrive, call us.

Then he said “Can I pray for you? I feel as though Jesus sent me here and I’d like to if it’s okay with you.”

Hey, I’m open to anything. Have at it. And he did. I’ve got no issues with that. BUT...

Two hours later, a knock at the door. I see two twenty-somethings milling about. Grrr I can barely answer the door these days, so I open the door and sit down, speaking through the screen door. They said their older friend sent them over to pray with me and keep me company, or see if there’s anything they can do, like pray over me, and how their grandpa was sick too blah blah blah holy fuckin fuckity fuck me

My neighbor has had a workman reseting her windows she had installed last year (they leaked) and when I saw him today, I spoke to him through my window and after some jawing and him removing the old fan and looking, I’m hooked up with him to do it instead. But, he too wanted to pray for me and I let him. It’s kind of weird that all these handymen are coming here and praying on me.

TLDR
I’m hooked up with a good handyman to get my shitter fan fixed

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I’m unable to do anything, you guys know that.

One evening, the exhaust fan in my bathroom suddenly ran slower, then POP, seized, and smelled like burnt motor. That had me vigilant for the night. Old mobile homes like this shitbox like to burn down from that stuff.

My fans aren’t easily located and replaced. There is no drop in replacement at HD. I managed to find replacement(s) online that looked like they’d practically be a direct swap, or I could swap the motor... then I found out I can’t even remove the existing junk. Physically, I can’t do it.

So I used Craigslist and found a handyman. I’d been eyeing the listings for awhile and had a few tagged to call. Lined up a time for a guy to swing by (a father and son outfit). The dad showed up. His English was lacking somewhat, but we understood each other enough. He said they could do it, I showed him the fan online, he said order them and when they arrive, call us.

Then he said “Can I pray for you? I feel as though Jesus sent me here and I’d like to if it’s okay with you.”

Hey, I’m open to anything. Have at it. And he did. I’ve got no issues with that. BUT...

Two hours later, a knock at the door. I see two twenty-somethings milling about. Grrr I can barely answer the door these days, so I open the door and sit down, speaking through the screen door. They said their older friend sent them over to pray with me and keep me company, or see if there’s anything they can do, like pray over me, and how their grandpa was sick too blah blah blah holy fuckin fuckity fuck me

My neighbor has had a workman reseting her windows she had installed last year (they leaked) and when I saw him today, I spoke to him through my window and after some jawing and him removing the old fan and looking, I’m hooked up with him to do it instead. But, he too wanted to pray for me and I let him. It’s kind of weird that all these handymen are coming here and praying on me.

TLDR
I’m hooked up with a good handyman to get my shitter fan fixed
There does seem to be a link between one specific carpenter and religion. Must run in the trade