Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

My problem with bulbs is that people can turn them off, and then automation stops. If it's on a switch, I replace it with a ZWave switch. While I do have some bulbs in lamps right now, in the future, they will have smart plugs and a button near them to turn on/off. :iono:

Oh, also dimming. Migraine friendly dimming.

But yeah, there are local, easy to use switches for everything. Hue dimmer switches in most cases.

And now with my newly acquired Homepod Minis, there is Siri coverage verywhere you need it.

Was this before or after you lighted up your dildo collection closet?
@fly, you should add a strain gauge to the dildo collection, then connect it to twitter so that @APRIL's strap on can tweet the vigor and duration of her sessions on you. I did that ages ago to my friend's bed before he got married.

Got an Aqara G2H camera in. HomeKit native, and also acts as a hub for Aqara sensors.

Sets right up with a barcode scan. Good picture.

I like that it has the lense up a bit on the unit. The Wyze it replaced always caught glare off the wooden surface it was on.

Doesn’t get the job done?

In general, nope. Those patented dual rubber rollers on the roomba make all the difference it seems. Doesnt beat the carpet very well at all, and has a lot of trouble with lightweight debris (leaf pieces, small scraps of paper, etc)

It also has absolutely zero power saving features for standby, so when its done vacuuming and doesnt make it back to its dock, it stays connected to wifi and drains its battery in a matter of hours, then shouts at you at a high volume about its battery dying, usually in the middle of the night :D

lidar and room mapping is super cool technically, but its needs to you know... vacuum.

In general, nope. Those patented dual rubber rollers on the roomba make all the difference it seems. Doesnt beat the carpet very well at all, and has a lot of trouble with lightweight debris (leaf pieces, small scraps of paper, etc)

It also has absolutely zero power saving features for standby, so when its done vacuuming and doesnt make it back to its dock, it stays connected to wifi and drains its battery in a matter of hours, then shouts at you at a high volume about its battery dying, usually in the middle of the night :D

lidar and room mapping is super cool technically, but its needs to you know... vacuum.
I think you must have gotten a bum one. Since you mention it can't find the dock, that seems even more likely. Two other friends got them on my recommendation and love them (one bought two). Sorry dude.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Picked up a bunch of Aqara window/door sensors.

The MCT thingies I have going through Smartthings/HA/HomeKit eat batteries and I'm over it. Shouldn't have to replace the batteries twice a year. I suspect it's something to do with HomeKit polling them constantly.

Picked up a bunch of Aqara window/door sensors.

The MCT thingies I have going through Smartthings/HA/HomeKit eat batteries and I'm over it. Shouldn't have to replace the batteries twice a year. I suspect it's something to do with HomeKit polling them constantly.
Assuming those are the Xiaomi ones expect them to last years. Also fwiw, HomeKit doesn't poll them. The devices wake up and report.