Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

assuming no fuckstick painted them over the years. Mine had two coats of paint on em and are irremovable. I've replaced the ceilings on 5 out of 11 rooms now to get rid of it

Are you literally tearing out ceilings and starting over from the joists/framing?

Also why? Asbestos I understand but a lot of people seem to do this just for fashion or whatever.

Are you literally tearing out ceilings and starting over from the joists/framing?

Also why? Asbestos I understand but a lot of people seem to do this just for fashion or whatever.

yes. A couple of rooms still have plaster ceilings, so those got skim coats, but the rest were tearouts and redos.

i have fairly low ceilings, that are all dingy looking from smoke and fire damage. The popcorn is gross, darkens the rooms, and just not nice.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
yes. A couple of rooms still have plaster ceilings, so those got skim coats, but the rest were tearouts and redos.

i have fairly low ceilings, that are all dingy looking from smoke and fire damage. The popcorn is gross, darkens the rooms, and just not nice.

Did not know about the smoke/fire damage.

Your house may be old enough it's like the farm house I grew up in. Horizontal slats and plaster.
I didn't know what sheetrock was until I left home.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Did not know about the smoke/fire damage.

Your house may be old enough it's like the farm house I grew up in. Horizontal slats and plaster.
I didn't know what sheetrock was until I left home.
it is, its plaster and lath throughout (horizontal slats)

Theres been some sheetrock slapped here and there over the years, but its not much

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer

added bonus to this is when i had the ceilings down (or the floors up in a few cases) I could rewire the whole place when i was at it.

added bonus to this is when i had the ceilings down (or the floors up in a few cases) I could rewire the whole place when i was at it.

I would love a house like that, despite whatever "shortcomings" it may have.

I get that, but it seems a bit like if you mixed Random Music with the musical gear thread. It's a nitch - like on Xhmster. :) And it's more a matter of figuring out vs. "fixing". meh, a stray thought. fuck me.

Sooner or later the stuff will be ubiquitous to the point you'll at least have to know the basics and be able to include it in diagnosis, even working in "down-market" houses, rentals, etc.

Customer: "hey hips, my ceiling fan stopped working!"

Hips: "did you pay your internet bill?"

Maybe the fan is ok. Maybe it's some nerd code issue. Or maybe there's some controller or switch to replace that has to be compatible with such and such HA version 2.1 or greater or whatever.

Or to be able to install/retrofit stuff for someone and be able to foresee possible problems. Get the correct physical parts hooked up right the first time and just leave them to program things how they want, etc.

Haven't run into that yet but it's coming, likely sooner than later.