Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

any of you metalworking guys, is a local welding shop likely have cutoffs of big c-channel? I need like 2 feet of 12x3x.357 c-channel for a project

any of you metalworking guys, is a local welding shop likely have cutoffs of big c-channel? I need like 2 feet of 12x3x.357 c-channel for a project
If I were looking, I think my first stop would be the metal recyclers.

I don't know anything about common sizes of c channel though, so your success probably highly depends on that.

Probably not. That's about the size I'd expect of a drop at a local supply place, though.
Not quite sure what you mean with your measurements, though. Looks like you want different size legs? That's custom work.

I wouldnt expect a small mom-n-pop place to have anything that big, but it doesnt hurt to ask, I guess
thats kinda what I figured. My alternative is to weld up angle iron and a plate together to create a c-channel equivalent. This should be fine if i have to, just more work. doesnt need to be a strong as true c-channel

Probably not. That's about the size I'd expect of a drop at a local supply place, though.
Not quite sure what you mean with your measurements, though. Looks like you want different size legs? That's custom work.
.357 wall thickness.

Both the local metal shops here (metals 'r us, metal supermarkets) would cut something like that to length for you if they've got it in stock.

Hitting one up this afternoon for some aluminum bar stock. My wood chipper is gonna live again.

thats kinda what I figured. My alternative is to weld up angle iron and a plate together to create a c-channel equivalent. This should be fine if i have to, just more work. doesnt need to be a strong as true c-channel
Seems a bit long for throwaway cutoffs but I've had a supply place chop me off a few ~1-foot lengths before for not much money.
Most will do it. You don't have to have a business account, here anyway.

Around here you'd get that at a place that sells "steel beams and building supplies". My favorite place says this on their site "with over 100 different steel beam sizes in stock and a multitude of building supplies." They've cut me all sorts of beams and lintels over the years. I'm sure someone is servicing that market in your area.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
LOL

You would benefit greatly from a sudden loss of everything and a couple years of applying for government cheese.
A simple icon would show poor work ethic on my part. Salute!
tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
Around here you'd get that at a place that sells "steel beams and building supplies". My favorite place says this on their site "with over 100 different steel beam sizes in stock and a multitude of building supplies." They've cut me all sorts of beams and lintels over the years. I'm sure someone is servicing that market in your area.

That's where we get them here. Big supply yards that carry red iron and other things for commercial construction, steel buildings, etc. They'll sell you whatever by the foot. Whatever lengths you want but price generally rounded up to the next whole foot.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie