Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

When we built the greenhouse we wore out the T50 staple gun that I've had for ages.

Today I ordered a Ryobi One+ battery T50 stapler for $80.
I just grabbed one of those too, was on sale for 38 I think at direct tools.

I'm honestly not a fan of wide crown staples though, too weak for most things

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
may have finally sold that cedar cabinet I restored
If it goes, I may finally get a dedicated dust collector for the MD Shop
one of these, Im thinking

Amazon product ASIN B00AU0FZPA
i prefer the freestanding ones in case i bring a tool outside or something for more clearance, and they tend to be more powerful. That said, any dust collection is good dust collection.

Be aware they suck power like a motherfucker and you'll want it on a different circuit than your tools or you'll underpower your bigger shit

Continuing on replacing old outlets.

I get to one where a chunk of the bottom of the box is missing, they used a drywall screw to half ass the outlet into the stud.

3 Romex in the box. Back stabbed into the outlet.

I’m out of old work boxes. I’ll pick one up, cut out and replace the fucked one and pigtail the wires.

Continuing on replacing old outlets.

I get to one where a chunk of the bottom of the box is missing, they used a drywall screw to half ass the outlet into the stud.

3 Romex in the box. Back stabbed into the outlet.

I’m out of old work boxes. I’ll pick one up, cut out and replace the fucked one and pigtail the wires.
make sure you got enough velcro, old sport.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Bought four 6203 bearings, pop into the fab shop this morning to press them into the spindle on the mower... got a problem.

#1, the blade side bore takes a 35mm OD bearing, not a 40mm OD bearing.
#2, the shaft is 16mm, so both IDs have to be 16mm.

So the mower actually takes a 6202-16 (on the blade side) and a 6203-16 (on the pulley side). I can buy a 6202-2RS-16 for the small end at Princess Auto, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a 6203-2RS-16, at least for a reasonable price. Even McMaster-Carr doesn't sell them.

Probably gonna make a bushing so I can drop a 6202-16 in place of the 6203-16.

Alternative is making a 0.5mm thick bushing that lets me put the 6203 in place of the 6203-16, aka "put the shaft in there, center it as best as I can and tack weld it"

Bought four 6203 bearings, pop into the fab shop this morning to press them into the spindle on the mower... got a problem.

#1, the blade side bore takes a 35mm OD bearing, not a 40mm OD bearing.
#2, the shaft is 16mm, so both IDs have to be 16mm.

So the mower actually takes a 6202-16 (on the blade side) and a 6203-16 (on the pulley side). I can buy a 6202-2RS-16 for the small end at Princess Auto, but I'm having a heck of a time finding a 6203-2RS-16, at least for a reasonable price. Even McMaster-Carr doesn't sell them.

Probably gonna make a bushing so I can drop a 6202-16 in place of the 6203-16.

Alternative is making a 0.5mm thick bushing that lets me put the 6203 in place of the 6203-16, aka "put the shaft in there, center it as best as I can and tack weld it"
I did almost the same thing for my furnace motor (6203 + 1/2" shaft). I ended up having a bushing cut for the shaft of the motor, and then pressing the bushing + bearing together.

Doing the four 6202-2RS-16's and outside bushing approach.

We didn't have any suitable material in the machine shop to lathe off a bushing, so I'm trying one out in Alloy 910.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Doing the four 6202-2RS-16's and outside bushing approach.

We didn't have any suitable material in the machine shop to lathe off a bushing, so I'm trying one out in Alloy 910.
Let me know how that works, in case I have to go that route in the future.

And blue loctite on both mating surfaces will probably be a good idea before it becomes a bearing on its own.

Made up a punchlist for a 2br/2ba rental turnover and ended up with 32 things, lol.

It's really not that bad, just tedious little shit. You can run around the place with one set of things, like some spackle and touch up paint for example, and knock out a few things at once. I make my lists room by room so it also serves as a checklist for me so I don't miss something.

It does however show people's lack of attention to detail, especially when they live someplace and get used to seeing things as just the way it is. And how they don't think of stuff until the end and then say oh shit.

Cat take out a few slats from some window blinds? That's something anyone who's the least bit handy could find at home depot, or even Wal-Mart or habitat for humanity, and do themselves if they thought ahead. Same goes for the cheap little spring doorstops that go broken or missing, or filling and painting over holes from hanging pictures or curtains, etc.

Some of this stuff would've been done free of charge if they just called it in for a maintenance work order 3 months ago instead of waiting til now.
Hell, if they just said, "hey Hips, do you have the paint color codes for this place? I can take care of some of this stuff myself and get more deposit back". I would've told them they can have the codes if they want but I'd just give them a quart or two of mine for nothing and the owner'd be none the wiser.

Attention to detail folks, it matters. This is how otherwise good renters end up getting what seems like too much money taken out of their deposits for what seems like frivolous little things because they didn't think ahead or take care of simple things themselves and now they get to defacto hire it done.

They're still getting a grade A reference as they really are good folks and the important/critical/expensive stuff is just fine.
They're also getting a little life lesson from me on the down low about this stuff that may help them with future rentals...if they pay attention to detail.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant