Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

The "4000cfm" pump for the swamp cooler went tits up, so I put a new one in.

Hopefully that's the extent of my swamp cooler repairs this year. Thinking I should probably get a longer extension ladder and just go up the back of the house instead of crossing over from the garage to the back, going around the solar panels. 16' doesn't cut it for getting up on the 2nd floor roof.

The "4000cfm" pump for the swamp cooler went tits up, so I put a new one in.

Hopefully that's the extent of my swamp cooler repairs this year. Thinking I should probably get a longer extension ladder and just go up the back of the house instead of crossing over from the garage to the back, going around the solar panels. 16' doesn't cut it for getting up on the 2nd floor roof.

Why do you not possess a ladder that's as tall as your house?
Do you also not possess pants that are as long as your legs?

Because the roof on my house has only two pitches - one on the front and one on the back. The one on the front goes all the way from the 2nd floor down to the garage.

Fair enough.
I live in a single story house and have a 32' ladder (work on 2-story houses sometimes).
Also have trees for which the 32 ain't enough.

I finally got a net for the tiny pond off my deck. dredged up a ton of gnarly detritus which has made it murky as fuck but I think will help long term. I got some barley to throw in there, but misread the size of it so I'll have to pare it down. at some point I need to get an actual filter, there's a "fountain" which is just a frog that spits the water out, but the only filtering on that is the plastic grates on the housing for the motor, so it filters large stuff but doesn't filter the funk.

there's only 3 fishies in there but I wanna treat em nice

I've got a toilet leaking at the seal where the water line goes in. Not the water line itself but the seal that touches the tank. I've replaced It and it's still leaking. Any tips to fix this? I don't see any cracks or imperfections in the tank. I thought about putting wax around the nut but Idk if that would actually work.

I've got a toilet leaking at the seal where the water line goes in. Not the water line itself but the seal that touches the tank. I've replaced It and it's still leaking. Any tips to fix this? I don't see any cracks or imperfections in the tank. I thought about putting wax around the nut but Idk if that would actually work.
Use whatever adhesive you've got on hand. Caulking, contact cement, construction adhesive, whatever.

It's under the tank out of view so it doesn't have to look pretty.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
Replace the whole float thing. Its <$10 IIRC. If it still leaks, you must have a hairline crack? Remember, only hand tighten it, or you also risk cracking it.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Replace the whole float thing. Its <$10 IIRC. If it still leaks, you must have a hairline crack? Remember, only hand tighten it, or you also risk cracking it.
I bought a complete kit since its only a few bucks more. It might have a hair line crack. I couldn't remove it with my hand from where the previous owners put it on.

one of my toilets leaks water from the tank if you lean back, which is definitely cramping my shitting style, but since it only happens when you lean, we've opted to just take a don't-lean approach for now. the other toilet just had the handle break off the other day so we had to flush it for a couple of days by hand-lifting the lever inside the tank, which is better than I've had in the past where the little chain kept coming loose and you constantly had to reach into the water to reattach it. we do have a handle again now, thankfully.

the third toilet is just uhhhh on its own in the unfinished laundry room, which is kinda weird but someday we hope to turn it into a legit half bathroom.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
one of my toilets leaks water from the tank if you lean back, which is definitely cramping my shitting style, but since it only happens when you lean, we've opted to just take a don't-lean approach for now. the other toilet just had the handle break off the other day so we had to flush it for a couple of days by hand-lifting the lever inside the tank, which is better than I've had in the past where the little chain kept coming loose and you constantly had to reach into the water to reattach it. we do have a handle again now, thankfully.

the third toilet is just uhhhh on its own in the unfinished laundry room, which is kinda weird but someday we hope to turn it into a legit half bathroom.
I don't think I could lean back to shit. I go elbows on my legs in a kind of squat. When we were at the trailer I attached a nut to the end of the chain when the handle broke so it wouldn't fall in. Added a counter wait so the kids couldn't accidentally leave it running or pull it too hard. I posted some pics of it a while back.

the one that leaks when you lean back is just loose bolts attaching the tank to the body. Those have rubber seals on em that go bad in time and they loosen up.

50 cent, 10 second fix.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer