Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Lesson learned: next time burp the pressure relief on the top of the tank and make sure water comes out, before you energize the thing.

How old's the tank? I'd take the opportunity to pull the anodes.

So from what little I've learned, it almost has to be the contactor. I'm on my last 3V fuse, but I think I've figured it out. The fuse blows when the tstat turns off the compressor. How or why that happens, I don't know. Right now I've got the A/C on set to 65F. When it gets cool enough, I'm hoping that I can just go cut the breaker to turn it off. Basically cycle it manually.

BTW, fucking Home Depot. The fuses are $4 for 2 there. My order of 25 for $8 doesn't get here until tomorrow from Amazon. :rant:
New contactor in. Cross your fingers please.

Lesson learned: next time burp the pressure relief on the top of the tank and make sure water comes out, before you energize the thing.

How old's the tank? I'd take the opportunity to pull the anodes.
8ish years.

And i did, it was filled when i left it. Just didnt stay filled.

So from what little I've learned, it almost has to be the contactor. I'm on my last 3V fuse, but I think I've figured it out. The fuse blows when the tstat turns off the compressor. How or why that happens, I don't know. Right now I've got the A/C on set to 65F. When it gets cool enough, I'm hoping that I can just go cut the breaker to turn it off. Basically cycle it manually.

BTW, fucking Home Depot. The fuses are $4 for 2 there. My order of 25 for $8 doesn't get here until tomorrow from Amazon. :rant:
No more blown fuses. Me think its fixed!

:bast:

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and Valve1138
Strolling through the Webcore forums and found this. Awesome!

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Had a really good experience at Grainger this morning. It seems that sometime in 2019 they made a corporate decision to stop being dicks to small businesses/sole proprietorships. I ordered online (bunch of semi-obscure pvc fittings), went for curbside pickup. Gave my name to the dude from 10 feet away, he dropped my box of stuff on a table up the row and i drove up and picked it up. No contact, no checking ID, super polite.

Oh, and they unfucked their pricing. Most stuff is competitive or better than box stores now rather than being "10X cause you dont have the corporate account HURR DURR"

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Valve1138
Had a really good experience at Grainger this morning. It seems that sometime in 2019 they made a corporate decision to stop being dicks to small businesses/sole proprietorships. I ordered online (bunch of semi-obscure pvc fittings), went for curbside pickup. Gave my name to the dude from 10 feet away, he dropped my box of stuff on a table up the row and i drove up and picked it up. No contact, no checking ID, super polite.

Oh, and they unfucked their pricing. Most stuff is competitive or better than box stores now rather than being "10X cause you dont have the corporate account HURR DURR"
Interesting. I never even knew that existed. I've never had a problem ordering with them.

Got my wood chipper running.

Found someone online looking for a full engine for their chipper, because their old engine had a broken crankshaft. I bought the busted engine off them for $20, stole the fuel tank and carb and a few other bits, shoved them on my motor and I'm in business!

I also have "electric start" now! I pulled the recoil starter off the busted engine's cover, and 3D printed an adapter that goes from a 1/2" socket drive to the starter ratchet on the engine. Now I can just start it with my cordless drill, vs having to manually haul over an engine with a chipper flywheel on it.

Just finished turning a big pile of sticks the previous owner left behind the shed into mulch.

I also have "electric start" now! I pulled the recoil starter off the busted engine's cover, and 3D printed an adapter that goes from a 1/2" socket drive to the starter ratchet on the engine. Now I can just start it with my cordless drill, vs having to manually haul over an engine with a chipper flywheel on it.
I forget why, but that isn't the best method to do that. I'd try to integrate a one way clutch in it if possible
Or did I read that wrong?

I forget why, but that isn't the best method to do that. I'd try to integrate a one way clutch in it if possible
Or did I read that wrong?
The engine has a 1-way starter ratchet on the flywheel. My adapter goes on where the plastic recoil starter used to.

I'll post pics later.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
200531856Resized20200530210526.jpg
check out muh #hack

Works pretty decent, actually. My yuppie grade Dewalt drill has no trouble starting the thing, and I don't miss the "two handed pull as hard as you can, then fall on your ass when you break the starter cord" recoil starter one bit.

speaking of which
My trusty 12v ryobi cordless drill has finally been retired after 15+ years of abuse
the batteries last about 5 minutes at normal use
got a dewalt 20v to replace it. Same a what the idiots at work use
figure if it can stand up to their dumbshittery it will be ok in my shop

speaking of which
My trusty 12v ryobi cordless drill has finally been retired after 15+ years of abuse
the batteries last about 5 minutes at normal use
got a dewalt 20v to replace it. Same a what the idiots at work use
figure if it can stand up to their dumbshittery it will be ok in my shop
Well this drill is several years old, gets used mostly for driving screws and stupid shit like this instead of drilling holes, got dropped 10 feet off a roof once and still works fine.

It came with a couple of the thin 20V packs. I can drive wood screws into shit for most of an hour before the battery goes dead, but the other one on the charger is ready by that time so I can switch 'em and keep going.