Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

we just bought a ton of ikea stuff that i largely consider disposable. I am trading my money for time. Sure, i would like to do a set of built ins, made of solid wood, that will last 100 years. But i also dont have time to do that, so taking that path results in having nothing, for all the years.

They also have some really cool designs. We got beds for both the kids that have 3 huge storage drawers underneath them, and also can expand from a twin to a full sized bed in 30 seconds when we have guests.

Or, i can go to ikea, buy a wardrobe that will grant me 40 cubic feet of storage in a pleasing configuration for 100 bucks, and immediately have that space available.

We've been doing a lot of trading cash for reduction of clutter and more efficient use of space. Its been a really good thing.

in before: get rid of stuff. That was the first step before the above.

we just bought a ton of ikea stuff that i largely consider disposable. I am trading my money for time. Sure, i would like to do a set of built ins, made of solid wood, that will last 100 years. But i also dont have time to do that, so taking that path results in having nothing, for all the years.

They also have some really cool designs. We got beds for both the kids that have 3 huge storage drawers underneath them, and also can expand from a twin to a full sized bed in 30 seconds when we have guests.

Or, i can go to ikea, buy a wardrobe that will grant me 40 cubic feet of storage in a pleasing configuration for 100 bucks, and immediately have that space available.

We've been doing a lot of trading cash for reduction of clutter and more efficient use of space. Its been a really good thing.

Their cabinets are passable, too.

Some of their stainless cookware is nice due to the shear minimalizm of the designs and good-better quality SS. People who do hot glasswork(me) love them for molding in/over.

It'll last if it gets assembled in the place it's gonna sit and just sits there and never moves. And the place is central air/heat, same temp all the time and no wild humidity swings.
And it's not in a kitchen or bathroom, wet area.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
It'll last if it gets assembled in the place it's gonna sit and just sits there and never moves. And the place is central air/heat, same temp all the time and no wild humidity swings.
And it's not in a kitchen or bathroom, wet area.
im well aware everything relating to wood and wood product and fastener durability.

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and HipHugHer
We have Billy bookcases from ikea. Totally fine. Can’t see why they will ever need replacing.

Our master closet is ikea, again, just fine. And I won’t feel bad getting rid of it when it does wear out.

I went today to get a smaller desktop for the ikea table legs I have. I want to put a small couch we have in my office now that the gaming rig is plugged into the tv and not taking up desk space, I don’t need a desk for two computers.

$9.

FUCK selling a house sucks.

Property inspection was yesterday.
Now they want to get an engineer out to look at the structure, because it's a weird shaped house the inspector wasn't familiar with, and they want to understand it better.
And they want a septic inspection done on a 2 year old septic system.
fuuuuuu.

Now they want to get an engineer out to look at the structure, because it's a weird shaped house the inspector wasn't familiar with, and they want to understand it better.
fuuuuuu.

all on their dime, but yeah, it delays and drags on time, etc.

engineers aint cheap, i wonder if some dumbass home inspector (do ya'll have those?) is trying to fleece them for additional fees

fuuuuuu.
Dude, there were bound to be some questions . . . .

That sucks. Everybody has their hand out.

all on their dime, but yeah, it delays and drags on time, etc.

engineers aint cheap, i wonder if some dumbass home inspector (do ya'll have those?) is trying to fleece them for additional fees
They're paying for it, not us, thank fuck. I don't think they're short on money, it's just their first home purchase and they're doing their damndest to do their due diligence.