Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

we're talking about the AC unit outside. Theres no filter on that.

I was actually talking about the inside one, they're out of sight out of mind for a lot of people.

Outside one is easy to see dirty and easy to get at and clean.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
If your coil is covered in frost you've got something wrong.
The INSIDE A-coil, not at all. Granted, while the unit is running the warm air rushing by doesn't always let that happen. Soon as the blower shuts off many of them will frost up for a few, and then drip. Hence the drip troughs leading to the condensate line.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
If your A Coil, inside your house, gets covered in frost while the AC is running (which is what you said) then something is fucked up.

Fins that have their surface covered in frost have a shitty heat transfer rate. No one would design a system like that unless they wanted to go out of business.

If your A Coil, inside your house, gets covered in frost while the AC is running (which is what you said) then something is fucked up.

Fins that have their surface covered in frost have a shitty heat transfer rate. No one would design a system like that unless they wanted to go out of business.
No one said covered like a freakin snowman, just the lightest amount, particularly for a few minutes after the fan stops. Or just dripping wet cold if enough warm air is rushing by. Yer perseverating again.

Layman. Pfft

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Evap coils, when working properly, stay well above freezing. Zero frost as that would impede the purpose of the fins. You are 100% wrong in this.

I would like to see what website you googled this information from so I can be sure to avoid it in the future. Was it Quora? Yahoo Answers?

Evap coils, when working properly, stay well above freezing. Zero frost as that would impede the purpose of the fins. You are 100% wrong in this.

I would like to see what website you googled this information from so I can be sure to avoid it in the future. Was it Quora? Yahoo Answers?
Sorry pal, you're deep wrong. The suction line(fatter) needs to be insulated because it would get frost on it as will the bottom few runs of the a-coil. The gas is getting warmer as it goes through the coil so at a point it turns to mere sweating. This is not an indication of an issue. The entire A-coil freezing up is.
Extra prickish perseveration today. Good job.

Dude, you've changed your story on what is freezing up and when literally three times. First it was "the coil while the AC is running." This is badly wrong.
Then it was "the coil just after the fan is turned off" which is also wrong
Now apparently it is the "suction line" and the bottom few runs of the coil. Again, you're wrong.

Wanna stick with a story? At least then you'll only be wrong one time.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie