Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

Also this is probably the first and last time you'll use duct tape for its intended purpose.

duct tape is not acceptable, nor intended to wrap metal ducts.
every house I've had has had it used ages ago, and when I got around to inspecting it, it had turned crepe-y and all blown out.

The fun ones where where you could tell it had been layered by patching and repatching through the years.

"crepe-y and all blown out"

you think maureen will peruse this thread? :lol:

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
duct tape is not acceptable, nor intended to wrap metal ducts.

Idk. I've used it to wrap/seal crimp seams and it's still there intact and sealed years later.

Might not be "acceptable" in the engineers instructions but it works and works well.

Metal tape or duct mastic(putty made for the job). Duct tape dries up, doesn't stick to metal that well, doesn't flex as age and so is ripped by the flexing of the pipes. And isn't fire resistant or fire-blocking.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
every house I've had has had it used ages ago, and when I got around to inspecting it, it had turned crepe-y and all blown out.

The fun ones where where you could tell it had been layered by patching and repatching through the years.

"crepe-y and all blown out"

you think maureen will peruse this thread? :lol:

aluminum hvac tape is the only way to go. Once that goes on, you'll never get it off, and you know... its metal.

Metal tape or duct mastic(putty made for the job). Duct tape dries up, doesn't stick to metal that well, doesn't flex as age and so is ripped by the flexing of the pipes. And isn't fire resistant or fire-blocking.

I've seen stuff that was disintegrated into dust too. There's different types of what we generically call "duct tape". Most of it would work OK to seal up his little beer vent.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Planning to sell my old house in Calgary this year, here is my recent improvements. I found local home buyer service here https://bridgedalehomebuyers.ca/, it's the easiest way to sell the house in any condition fast and without any issues. One of my friends sold with their help old house in downtown in a few weeks at good price.
6d539077dd.png

724ce27b48.png

ee6046489d.png

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly