Advice The Home Improvement/Automation Thread

First time I was in LA there were orange trees all over the place like along the street and in landscaping and stuff everywhere so I grabbed one and took a bite. That's when I learned what ornamental orange trees were.
Huh. I knew there were bitter oranges, but not that those were all over that area. You'd think they'd have navel or juice oranges or such.

Huh. I knew there were bitter oranges, but not that those were all over that area. You'd think they'd have navel or juice oranges or such.

You'd think so. Maybe the ornamentals are less maintenance/water or the "fruit" stays looking pretty longer or something?

Bitter as all hell. Not like bitter as a flavor but inedible bitter.

Was at Christmas/New Years. They were orange in color. I assume should've been ripe or over-ripe at that time.

The sour oranges are used as rootstock on many of the sweets. Hardier

We didn't visit any orange farms. These were planted and maintained by the city, like evenly spaced in a perfectly straight row down a boulevard or next to a park or whatever just for looks.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I say LA meaning the general area. Could've been Hollywood or Huntington Beach or Pasadena or somewhere else along the way.

Some city around there plants shitty oranges.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
You'd think so. Maybe the ornamentals are less maintenance/water or the "fruit" stays looking pretty longer or something?

Bitter as all hell. Not like bitter as a flavor but inedible bitter.

Was at Christmas/New Years. They were orange in color. I assume should've been ripe or over-ripe at that time.
Nah, citrus (usually) is a winter crop. All of mine are ripeish now.

Not really, they're often sold with suggestion of planting them slightly tight, then thinning to make some $$ after 10-15 years. Planting tight encourages straight, upright growth - perfect for the intended veneer process. Is very important not to just drop the logs smack onto the ground - the additional check marks in the finished logs can render them valueless for little more than firewood.
He means cause yard trees eat sawmills. Almost guaranteed to have nails and other nasties in em. Breaking a 120 buck bandsaw blade sucks

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Nah, citrus (usually) is a winter crop. All of mine are ripeish now.

Idk. It was about this time of year. Literally 10 days to 2 weeks ago. They looked great but we're can't spit it out fast enough disgusting.

I've tried bitter orange before. One variety from one tree of a person I knew anyway. These were far worse. Maybe it was a different variety of bitter or maybe something truly ornamental that shouldn't be eaten at all, I really don't know.

First time I was in LA there were orange trees all over the place like along the street and in landscaping and stuff everywhere so I grabbed one and took a bite. That's when I learned what ornamental orange trees were.
Luckily I had someone tell me that before I tried one. I was always curious why there was so much fruit going to waste around here with the orange trees lining streets.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Luckily I had someone tell me that before I tried one. I was always curious why there was so much fruit going to waste around here with the orange trees lining streets.

After my experience I suddenly noticed none of the other 6 million people were picking and eating them.

Duh.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Between seeing Hollywood, Universal Studios, and trying to eat that orange, it really drove the point home that is "everything is fake out here, even the fucking trees."

He means cause yard trees eat sawmills. Almost guaranteed to have nails and other nasties in em. Breaking a 120 buck bandsaw blade sucks

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk
Ah. Yeah I've ran into huge screweyes and such splitting wood, buried deep. Does anyone ever run a metal detector/ stud sensor over them? But I get in how in city yard metal would be very common. Valves yard didn't look like that. Idk. Carry on

Between seeing Hollywood, Universal Studios, and trying to eat that orange, it really drove the point home that is "everything is fake out here, even the fucking trees."
Not fake, escaped. Millions of those are used for rootstock in Calif Arizona and Texas for the sweet oranges. Look in any nursery catalog - shipping of citrus plants, particularly ornamentals, is tightly controlled. Generally prohibited because they fuck up the fruit crops. Similar situation in Michigan - quite a list of stuff that shouldn't come in to protect our pine crop.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
Ah. Yeah I've ran into huge screweyes and such splitting wood, buried deep. Does anyone ever run a metal detector/ stud sensor over them? But I get in how in city yard metal would be very common. Valves yard didn't look like that. Idk. Carry on

i run a metal detector over any rough wood i buy from an unknown source before i put it through my planer. im not gonna get a ding in a planer blade from some tiny brad nail thatll put a groove through 5 dollar a bf walnut